Which branch of the military requires the least amount of year commitment?

I’m not sure what branch of the military only has a 2 year committment. Unless things have changed since I was in, it was always 4 years active duty at least. 6 years if you chose extended overseas tour. If you’re becoming a pilot, I think the committment is 10 years…the Govt wants to recoup their investment. Don’t join the military unless you want to serve and can handle authority figures telling you what to do, no matter how insignificant it may seem. If you mess up and get discharged, it could affect you for life.

Adam, honestly with all due respect if other pilots have a problem with me serving our country thats there own issue. Of course I haven’t read the contracts or anything and I’m sure there is some fine print and again I’m not set on a flow either I am getting my bachelors and plan to work for whatever regional I can thats best for me when the time comes. It was just a hypothetical thing one could do. I have started flight training and got my private certificate in 10 weeks, and after 6 weeks I’m doing my instrument check ride next week, I WILL be successful with the rest of my training as well. Thank you for the advice though, I do realize I’m young and people with experience always offer a better perspective of things.

Not a 2 year commitment, I think its 8 or 10 years as well but the initial training is about 2 years in the guard

Thank you for your reply and I’ll definitely check out that form.

Aaron,

No one has a problem with you serving your country. NO ONE. It’s doing it to take advantage and work the system that people take issue with.

Adam

Adam, I understand where people would be coming from with that and my hope is that I can get on with the guard before a regional anyways. But if for whatever reason I don’t get picked up that soon I would still be applying once I was at a regional. Again, I do see the point you’re trying to make but it is not really my goal to beat the system or anything like that. It is my goal to fly in the guard asap and the airlines asap however that might work out.

oh wow that actually helps, I want to join but didn’t want to go 8 years active. but, nice to know I can do part of the contract in reserves.

There is no guarantee of being allowed to switch to the reserves, but it does seem that many people are able to do it.