Which path should I take?

I have recently started looking into ways in which I can become an airline pilot, and I need a little bit of help. I am a high school student eager to join the industry while its still short on pilots, but I don’t know if I should rush to get a seat, or earn more impressive achievements such as a BS. If I went to college and earned my bachelors whilst I did airline sponsored training at schools like Arizona State, I wouldn’t have enough flight hours until say 6 years after I graduate from high school (Considering I don’t go for a R-ATP major). If I didn’t go to college, went to ATP or something similar (cadet programs from airlines), I would save tens of thousands in loans, and I would have my flight hours in a few years (I think), but I wouldn’t be able to join a major. I would probably want to get a bachelors later, or is that too obscene? To what degree is any of this true or false so far? Should I focus on starting my career early as a regional pilot or take more time and get better qualifications?

Owen,

Are you 100,000% certain you want to be a pilot? Are you absolutely certain you have the skills and disposition to be successful as an airline pilot? Have you ever even sat in the front of a small plane and experienced where you plan on spending at least 2yrs of your life?

I’m not challenging you but simply trying to make a point. If you leave HS and go straight into pilot training you’re investing all your time and money in one very specific goal. I’m not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing but most people in HS aren’t really certain how they want to spend their futures. While you may believe you want to fly the fact is until you’ve spent quality in the cockpit of a small plane you just don’t know. Further flight training requires a tremendous amount of commitment to be successful. The above have shown themselves to be so true that ATP, one of the largest, oldest and most successful flight academies in three country will not even accept students right out of HS.

This is why we ALWAYS recommend continuing your education (at least get your 2yr degree) before starting training. This will give you some time to mature, allow you to get that degree out of the way in preparation for a position with the Majors, and most important provide a Plan B should aviation not work out either through circumstance or choice.

Regardless of what you decide if you haven’t you really need to do some flying. As I said until you’ve been up you simply won’t know for certain if this career is right for you.

Adam

1 Like

Owen,

Please check out the FAQ section as there is a post there that really addresses your question.

Chris

1 Like