Which route should I take?

Hello. My name is Hanna and I am currently a high school senior. I have been apart of aviation my whole life. I am currently VERY stressed on which route I should take… ATP, or go for a college degree. Part of my family says go to a university and the other half is saying to go through ATP. Any advice?

Hi Hanna,
I’m sure Adam, Chris or one of the other Mentors will respond soon but I can almost guarantee they will say go the college route and get your Bachelors Degree since you will need it for the Majors and then get your ratings and the only reason I say almost guarantee is because Adam will contradict me to be funny if I give a Full Guarantee!

1 Like

Hanna,

ATP will not even accept you as a student without at least a 2yr degree. I recommend you visit our FAQ section as we cover this at length. Short answer get a degree in something you like as a backup and do your flight training after.

Adam

I’m sorry, I should’ve said this in the beginning. I am currently working on my PPL and am trying to decide if I should go through ATP, than go to college while already working, or go to a college before ATP.

I also have a scholarship for embry-riddle, I am just trying to figure out which route to take. :smile:
Thank you guys so much.

Hanna,

I always recommend school first. It’s far easier to complete your degree, which you’ll need, while you’re still in “school mode” than trying to complete it after. Riddle is a great school I’m simply not a fan of aviation degrees. If for some reason flying doesn’t work out (whether by choice or circumstance) it’s always a good idea to have a plan B.

Adam

1 Like

Alright, that’s exactly what my dad says and he’s been an ATC for 31 years. well thank you!

Hanna,

Your dad’s a wise man :wink:

Adam

Hanna,

I, too recommend completely finishing your college, then finding a flight school that offers accelerated flight training. It is so hard to resume college once a student has left it and you will need a degree for the majors anyways. Stay in school, then fly.

Chris