Wholly Owned?

Is it “safer” to go to a wholly-owned airline vs going to ones like Skywest or republic?

I say safer in quotes because I have often heard that if you don’t get called by a major at least you would have a flow to fall back on.

Taylor,

Flying for a major airline is a privilege, not a right. I would say that it’s actually “safer” to be an experienced, well-trained pilot because that’s who the majors hire. Getting hired shouldn’t be an issue if you uphold those standards. Flows should not be seen as safety nets or a guaranteed way of getting on with a major, but more of a convenience if one wishes to participate in the flow agreement.

Tory

Okay, that is reassuring, thanks Tory.

Taylor,

There is some serious insurance with having a flow program to a major. While most flows take longer than we would like to see, they do usually work. I have known a few people (not many at all) that for whatever reason never got the call to the majors and ended up flowing to their regional’s major. I would not let this be a big concern though when choosing a regional to apply to.

I would focus more on quality of life issues and finding an airline with bases that you could see yourself living in.

Chris

True. This is what I have been doing but I was reading on APC and a guy was saying to avoid places with no flow because then you may never get called to a major. That was my concern and you addressed it perfectly. Thanks as always Chris.

Taylor,

I really think you’re putting too much thought into this and should choose the Regional that works best for you (bases, equipment, Tuition Reimbursement, offered you a job, etc). There’s no way of predicting the future. Compass, Commair and ExpressJet were all wholly owned. Sure flows can be nice, but when things got bad the first thing their Major partners did was shut them down. Airlines like SkyWest who aren’t joined at the hip have options.

Adam

I do tend to overthink. Thanks, Adam!

Taylor,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Taylor,
It’s all about priorities. Some old airline guys give me crap all the time about going to Skywest without a flow as a backup. But I don’t care! I chose Skywest because it’s company culture, training reputation and bases. I made the decision that if I never got to a major and was “stuck” here, I’m okay with that. I’d rather be at a company where I’m happy then be sitting at a regional I hate just praying for my number to flow eventually… you see what I’m saying? Nothing is guaranteed. I’d rather be happy with my choices now and do my best to make it to a major by being a great pilot, building time, building a good resume and people skills. Im not worried about another interview because I work hard to be a great applicant through my work ethic every day. As for if I’ll make it to a major, I hope so but only time will tell!
-Hannah

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense as literally nothing is guaranteed in this industry. I really have only heard good things about Skywest as well as the complaining pilot here and there but mainly good things so I was on the bridge a little at first. This definitely helps though, thanks Hannah!

1 Like

Taylor,

Airline Pilot Rule #37: you must complain. If you don’t actually have something to complain about you’re not trying hard enough. :wink:

Adam

3 Likes

With how often I see it on forums, I just knew it had to be a rule.:joy:

1 Like