Why ATP flight school?

Howdy folks, I am currently going to a moms and pops flight school in my hometown in El Paso, Texas. I am all in to become a pilot, only problem is that the time frame is going on 2 years and about $2,900 down in flight and ground school. I only want to move to an atp flight school because of the time frame in getting my ratings done. Current instructor will cancel for illness or because he wants someone who is closer to finishing with flight school done and over with. Should I move to an ATP flight school? Thinking about the one in Conroe, TX. Thanks!

1 Like

I completed my Instrument, Commercial Multi Engine, Commercial Single Engine, CFI, CFII, and MEI ratings in 6 months.

If you want speed and efficiency, there is no better alternative than ATP…Period.

Trey

1 Like

Alvaro,

EXACTLY the story you tell is the reason I started looking into ATP. Most mom and pop schools simply can’t accommodate students with career aspirations. Aside from the time frame a few of the reasons are:
ATPs been training pilots for the airlines for over 35years
Over 600 students hired in the last 12mos alone
ATP pioneered Regional airline agreements
Largest and newest fleet in the country
Reputation for excellence in the industry
Doesn’t only train you to fly but prepares you for future airline training.

Take a look at the FAQ for more info.

Adam

1 Like

Alvaro,

You’re on ATP’s forum, talking to ATP’s mentors. Of course we’re going to say yes. The question I have for you is, what’s stopping you? All the information you need to know to help you make that decision can be found on ATP’s website and this forum. Is there something specific that you’ve come across that is making it difficult for you to make a decision? We’d be happy to answer any questions you have.

Tory

1 Like

Alvaro,

I got my PPL at a local school as well and encountered all of the same issues that you are speaking of. I was so frustrated with the school that at the end of my PPL, I started asking for better options. I had a cousin that had gone to ATP and highly recommended them. I attended the program and finished exactly on time, for exactly the quoted price.

You could always try another CFI at your school, but it could be a school wide issue. I certainly would not want to pursue anything beyond a PPL at such a disorganized place. The call is yours, we are fans of ATP because we went there and it worked for us. I encourage you to visit the “Student Experiences” section and see what is posted there as those are un-edited posts from real ATP students.

Chris

1 Like

Hey Tory,

The only thing stopping me is my financial situation. I am unsure if I will be able to work while going to ATP at the same time. I really don’t want to pressure myself to do both. I don’t know if it would be possible to do both but I will definitely would not mind working and going to ATP at the same time. Also, I wouldn’t want to take a loan just to pay for housing and food and etc.

Alvaro,

You raise legitimate concerns, but you must know that ATP is designed to help students earn their ratings as fast as humanly possible. That means working or going to school during the program is strongly inadvisable.

Most students do not have the cash on hand to pay for their training. Therefore, it sounds like applying for a loan through Wells Fargo or Sallie Mae would be your best option. Asking for additional funds to cover living expenses and/or supplies is also an option. Here’s some more information for you.
https://atpflightschool.com/financing/

Tory

2 Likes

Thanks for the useful information, I am currently trying to save as much even if this means eating sandwiches for the next year. My plan is to be done with this flight school, if pandemic allows it, by the end of 2020 or early 2021 so I can join ATP in 2022. That way I can work for at least 9 more months to save as much as I can to only ask for the money I need for the academic portion only. Currently got a work from home job for 18/hr so I will try to save as much without compromising my future. Just want to fly professionally already. In 2022 I will be 25 years old, will this be a problem?

Not at all, Alvaro. Am I too old to be an Airline pilot?

Tory

Alvaro,

I understand your hesitation on not wanting to take out a loan for living expenses, but keep in mind that airline pilots can easily make $300k or more per year as Captains at major airlines, so any delay can end up costing you big in the end.

Chris

1 Like

Alvaro,

Im a Private Pilot, out of practice, who earned that license 15+ years ago. I was flying, working and going to community college. Sometimes I worked 2 jobs. This made it very difficult to retain the proficiency needed to progress effectively. If I could go back, I would do things a lot differently.
I finally got back to a financial situation that makes this dream somewhat possible. This time around, Im only flying. I secured a loan and have a wonderful wife willing to hold things down while I attempt this one final time.
As one who tried, focus on the flying. The more often you can fly, the better. The skills learned will be sharper and any knowledge learned has a better chance of being applied sooner which should fortify your training.
Im not sure all the details of your situation but I figure I should chime in as one who tried the route your suggesting.
Respectfully,
Jeremy

2 Likes