Will not going to college be a disadvantage?

Does a college degree effect anything with pay or how far I can get up the scale to become a pilot? I would like to become a major airline pilot/caption and wanted to know if a college degree is better to have or is just the is pilot school enough.

Aralynn,

While no Major airline requires a degree, they all list a 4yr degree as one of their “competitive” or “preferred” minimums. That means pilots with degrees will always get hired first.

Now right now there’s a huge pilot shortage and everyone with a pulse is getting hired BUT if/when that cools they may even reinstate the degree requirement. Long/short you should get a degree or you could get stuck.

Adam

1 Like

Okay perfect! Thank you. Also does the degree have to be in aviation to be a commercial pilot or can it be aerospace engineering?

Aralynn,

While the Majors all want a 4yr degree they really don’t care the field of study. I know successful pilots with degrees in everything from business to chemistry to music theory and art.

Study something you enjoy and could maybe even use in the future as a backup or side gig.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much!