Wise Council

Looking for wise council from veterans of the industry.
I am finalizing my FAA medical and ATP application. I am changing careers late in the game (I’m 55 y/o). I am aware of the mandatory pilot retirement for commercial carriers. Is there “life after 65” for pilots in the commercial world?
I don’t have a desire to fly the big jets, would love prop or small jet (corporate maybe).
All advise / insight is valued and appreciated.

1 Like

Lorin,

There are plenty of light cargo and corporate gigs that will allow you to fly beyond 65. The caveat is you may be competeing for those jobs against retired airline pilots with 20,000hrs. Not saying it’s impossible but again the competition might be stiff.

Adam

1 Like

Lorin,

I know very few people who have flown past age 65. You have to keep in mind that at some point, people do not want to see a white haired pilot flying their family around. Ageism perhaps, but it is a fact of life.

Chris

1 Like

What’s the rationale with allowing people to fly past 65 in some jobs but not others?

Ben

1 Like

Ben,

The rational is that it is a whole lot worse to kill 250 people in an airplane crash of a 767 than it is to kill four in a Lear Jet crash. Also, people that purchase business jets and hire pilots often have a say in who they hire, so if there is a risk in hiring an older pilot, it is on them. The traveling public does not get a say in who their pilots are.

Chris

2 Likes

Lorin,
The 135 job market is incredibly diverse. There are jobs flying gulfstreams and globals, where the competition is incredibly fierce. There are also smaller charter and cargo operations that hire pilots with less than 1,000 hours. It’s just a game of finding the job that peaks your interest and knowing the right people to get your foot in the door. At your age, you could still have a nice 8 years at a regional/LCC. You could make captain and be pretty senior. After that, you could jump in to the 135 side and still find great jobs. Or you could go there directly after building the required hours. Find your niche company and park it… good news is, as long as you can keep a first class medical, they won’t kick you out based on age. Also, since the airlines are scooping every eligible candidate up, the 135 side is hurting for pilots more than ever. Pretty good time to be looking their way…
-Hannah

2 Likes

Not to mention the agreements ATP has with Spirit and Frontier. Could go directly from CFI → Spirit/Frontier flight deck.

Ben

2 Likes

What is the 135 job market?
I need to learn the jargon as well :grin:

Lorin,

The FAA certifies different types of flight operations under different numbers (and regulations). Airlines operate under Part 121 where most corporate, light cargo and other services operate under Part 91 or Part 135. Nothing you need to be concerned about.

Adam

1 Like

Lorin,

Good question. As others have mentioned, the FAA classifies different aircraft operators as to the type of regulations they fall under. You will hear pilots refer to a “121 job” meaning the airlines, or a “135 job” meaning corporate flying.

Chris

1 Like

I’ve hired two 65 year olds to fly the Citation X at my company in the past three months. There is definitely life after 65 in the flying world if you want/need to continue flying.

2 Likes

Arthur,

Good to know. Thank you for sharing that information.

Chris

1 Like