Work load compatibility with an online degree

This very well could have been asked already in a thousand forums but I was unable to find a complete answer.

I’m 17, have my PPL, and very interested in going through the ATP program. My one question would be: does the workload associated with ATP allow time to attend an online college to get a 4 year bachelor’s degree in order to fulfill the major airline’s requirements? My plan would be to start the degree while at ATP and then finish up the last year or two while flying for a regional (or something of the sorts).

Any input (from students present and past) would be absolutely lovely.

1 Like

Aidan,

ATP’s program is highly condensed and does not offer any spare time for outside work or college studies. You will need to take this one step at a time.

I personally would recommend that you go get a four year degree, then attend flight school.

Chris

What about waiting to start the online classes until I’m a CFI? Would the workload as a CFI allow for time to do this? Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Aidan,

I’m not going to answer your question directly as I like people to think things through themselves. As an ATP student you’ll be investing a tremendous amount of time, effort and money training. It’s really a team effort between you AND your instructor. Training schedules can be dynamic and you’ll need to be available whenever’s necessary. You’ll expect your instructor to be there for you, when the time comes shouldn’t your students expect the same? Aside from “doing the right thing” for your students because it’s the right thing, failure to do so could result in your dismissal from ATP which could seriously derail your entire career. Factor in online degrees can be demanding as is flight instruction and if you’re keeping up with your students inevitably your school work will suffer which isn’t good either. The vast majority of pilot’s do ALL their online degree training once the get to a Regional since the schedule is much less demanding.

Those are the facts but ultimately the decision is yours but again, if the weather’s been an issue and you’re not their when your student needs, you may very well find yourself with a whole lot more spare time than you bargained for.

Adam

1 Like

Aidan,

If you plan on instructing at ATP, then no. You will be even busier as a
CFI than as a student. I would recommend waiting to start your online
degree until you got to a Regional. That will still require a lot of
dedication, but it’s doable.

Tory

1 Like

Hello, Chris. Just jumping in the conversation because I really want to know what you think about an online degree. Because personally for me four year college and then flight school. It takes a lot of time and its expensive compare to doing flight school first and then college wether online or regular depending?

Hello, Aidan. I was wondering if you still were in High school when you got your PPL since you mentioned you were 17 back then? And where you got your PPL from (I mean was it with any local school or private instructor) because I have been thinking of getting mine and how was your overall experience with it. Do you think its a good idea to get PPL first separate at the beggining and then working onto getting other ones done because I have came across that a lot of people suggest taking it separate rather than taking everything in a course. Since you have done that your take on that would be really helpful and if you don’t mind letting me know what you are working on currently.

Mohsina,

Online degrees are a very popular option. We still recommend conventional schools first for young people as they offer a more structured learning environment which helps many be successful. As far as taking alot of time you’re going and have it. As far as expensive going to community and local state schools can save you tens of thousands.

Ultimately the best path is the one that works for you.

Adam

1 Like

At my location I know of a CFI who is currently doing this. Bright dude, excellent instructor.

He told me the workload is pretty difficult to manage. He is SLAMMED at our location (spin instructor…has to fly with every CFI candidate haha) and he told me his Aviation Management/Sciences degree from the local college is easy work (because of his CFI background) but it’s a LOT of time consuming work.

Is it doable? Sure it’s doable. But it’s NOT for everybody. Also if you were considering doing online college during your training just understand that while Scheduling will work with you, they can’t always accommodate and if you’ve got an 0800 zoom class and your CFI decided y’all have to do your night XC hours at 0300 well… good luck my friend :wink:

Try to knock out that degree before ATP ideally. If you’ve still got extra time in HS I’d recommend trying to dual enroll some courses (if available) to knock out college credits early.

Good luck!