Written Exam Test Prep

Hello all,

I just have a quick question about the written exams. What kind of study material do you encourage others to use while studying for the writtens. I have seen many differing opinions and I understand everyone has different study habits, but I am just trying to get a good feel about what has worked for the majority of people who have scored very high. Many have recommended that the Sporty’s App is all you need for the PAR. I appreciate any response regarding what to study for the written exams, PAR through all the rest. I plan to get them all done before starting training. Thank you!!!

Nik

Hey Nik, I did the Kings school private pilot study course to completion and also prepped with the Sportys free test prep. The Kings course and their videos really helped with learning everything from scratch and getting familiar with the lingo. Sportys prep helped with memorizing the PAR questions and their answers. Scored a 94 when I took the written and had plenty of time left over.
Every written exam after that you absolutely need to use Sheppard Air. No question. Good Luck!

2 Likes

Nik,

While you’ll probably get the bug to actually “learn” the material, until you actually fly (and have some context), rote is the way to go. That means Sporty’s (or similar) for your PPL and Sheppard’s for the rest.

Adam

Thank you Sean and Adam for the response and advice,

I’ll be sure to use Sheppard Air for all writtens after the PAR. Quick follow-up question. I was researching Sporty’s and came across their “Learn to Fly” course. Is anyone familiar with it? Is this course strictly for the PAR or is it a combination of the written and all PPL material for the checkride? If the Learn to Fly course is different than the Sporty’s IOS app, what is the difference and would you recommend springing for the $300 course or just simply getting the $15 Sporty’s app if all you should do is memorize the question and answer?

Additionally, once enrolled into ATP, do they give any supplemental resources, like Sheppard Air, to study for the rest of the written exams or do I need to purchase all the test prep I would want to use?

Thank you, Nik

Nik,

I am a huge fan of the video series from King Schools. I find them engaging and very good at teaching the information. If you have a significant amount of time before you start your training, I would use them. If time is more limited, I would use Shepherd Air.

Chris

Understood, thanks. Does ATP give their students access to Sheppard Air to study for the writtens or will I need to pay out of pocket for that?

Nik

Nik,

If you want to take them ahead of time (as recommended) it’ll be our of pocket but ATP will then reimburse your first year subscription to ForeFlight which is a pretty good deal.

Adam

Hey Adam,

Ya I read on their website about that. What I meant with my question was after I enroll into ATP, do they give students written exam test prep (like Sheppard Air) to help students get the writtens out of the way before their start date? Or do students need to pay for the test prep they would like to use? Like after I enroll and begin studying for the writtens, does ATP provide resources like Sheppard Air as part of the tuition or will I need to pay for it out-of-pocket to study? Please let me know if you do not understand my question and need further clarification. Thank you for any response!!!

Nik

Nik,
Once you’ve secured a start date and are given access to the ATP Student Extranet, there are a lot of resources that will help you prepare for the PPL written exam. You’ll also be able to schedule your Elevate Ground School which you’ll need to complete before ATP will give you the endorsement needed to take your PPL written. There are a ton of videos, documents, and other resources available once you’re fully enrolled. As far as the written exam prep, they recommend Sheppard Air, which is very effective, but that will be an out-of-pocket expense.
-Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the response. That was the main thing I was asking, whether ATP gives you Sheppard Air as part of being fully enrolled. Understood that they do not. If I could ask, what are the resources they give for the PPL written?

Thank you everyone for all the help!!!

Nik

Nik,
They provide Elevate Ground school which consists of 10 Days of Zoom Classes, about 3-4 hours long, which provide a general overview on information for the PAR. Their student extranet also contains a ton of more in-depth videos on just about any topic. It has Guided Independent Study videos, a library full of other videos, documents, procedures, checklists, etc.
Ultimately for the PAR, you’ll want Sporty’s Study Buddy or another study tool if you prefer. The general idea with all the written exams is Rote Memorization, but you’re more than able to dive in to the materials and gain a better understanding if you wish. I found that as I studied for the PAR, I wanted to often figure out why the right answer was the right answer, so I took a lot longer studying for it than what some people do and ultimately I passed with a 90% which I was a bit disappointed by, but I passed and moved on to the next written, the IRA, which I took on the 9th, along with FII and IGI (90 or higher on all three).

Read these threads for more information on studying for the PAR.
Preparing for Your Airman Knowledge Test
FAA Written Exams - Trust the Process

Hope that helps clear things up for you!
-Steve

Edit: ATP’s website has a listing of what they provide as well:
Flight Training Program Details

2 Likes