Zero to 1500 with ATP - My Experience

Not a fan of the Bus nor it’s sidestick “input device” and I flew one for 2 years.

Silly airplane designed by engineers who don’t like pilots!

Adam

1 Like

I will disagree with my esteemed colleague here. While I did not like the logic behind how the stick works, I did like the concept of the side stick itself.

But that comes from four years of flying an Airbus, Adam just needed a few more years to get used to the side stick.

For the record, the rest of the Airbus concept is bizarre.

1 Like

I’m sure you’re right another 2yrs would’ve changed my mindset.

I believe that’s known as “Stockholm Syndrome”…

Adam

1 Like

Not to be a history snob but the side stick was actually first designed and developed by f-16 drivers in the 70s.

David

1 Like

Roscoe,
Excellent write up - really appreciate your insight!
Out of curiosity, how many multi hours did you end up with? I’m a bit confused on how the multi training works as some locations don’t have Seminoles at them and I also know that ATP has the Multi-add on and it specifies that those who go through the 100 hour program have preferential consideration to fill multi-engine instructor positions so I am curious about the overall number of multi you had or if you did any multi-engine instruction.
Thanks

Stephen,

When I went through the program and when I instructed, the program allotted a total of 25 hours of multi time. 10 hours was for your commercial multi add-on and 15 hours towards your multi engine instructor add-on. The 100 hour multi program is only be offered at larger locations that have permanent multi instructors and normally multiple Seminoles on site. If your training location doesn’t have a Seminole, ATP will send you to another location to complete the training. I believe most locations should have a Seminole now, but they move them around based on demand at each location. So as a student I had just under 25 hours of multi time, and as an instructor I had around 110 dual given multi hours. So in total I had just over 130 hours of multi time with ATP. Unless you are going to an LCC, like Frontier or Spirit, the regionals only require 25 hours of multi time before you start your training there.

Hope this helps!

Roscoe

1 Like

Roscoe,
Thanks yeah I was primarily curious about your ME time as an instructor - I’m just looking at options and a few 135 operations caught my eye but tend to have a higher ME hour requirement - the location I’m looking at doesn’t offer the 100 hr ME add on but if you can get 100 hours while instructing I don’t see much benefit in trying to move to a location that does.
Thanks!

Stephen,

The regular program has 25 hours of multi time compared to the 100 hr program. Roscoe being a lead instructor got some multi time. However, that changed recently. Now you have to have gone through the 100 hr multi program to do any ME instructing. There is also a nice pay bump for ME instructors. The one down side, only certain locations are ME equipped.

Hannah

Yes that is a big downside - unfortunately not going to be able to relocate to a location with the ME option - will have to look into some other options if I decide to pursue 135 ops
Thanks for the clarification!

Stephen,

I am curious, why the interest in having more multi time? Do you envision yourself going to the airlines or taking another route?

Chris

I’ve had some interest in corporate flying and part 135 - I’m really just gathering information to see what is feasible for the future and kind of chart potential avenues - I’m legitimately a year out from being able to enroll so a long ways until it matters really and with how frequent the career field can change, nothing is certain, COVID-24, etc. who’s to say that anything will remain the same as present day - ultimately I’m just trying to pick everyone’s brain, see what you’ve done, what you’d have done differently etc.
I picked Hannah’s brain on her time at flyExclusive and she provided some good insight.
I know there are a ton of opportunities and airline partnerships, frontier and envoy have some pretty great cadet incentives, small jets seem like they could be fun, like the idea of home basing, but again, just gathering info!
Thanks

Hey Everyone,

Fun update today! Yesterday evening I passed my Qualification LOE here at Envoy for the E170/E175! So I am officially an E170/E190 type rated airline transport pilot! The LOE (line oriented evaluation) was the final of 4 checking events for Envoy’s advanced qualification program (AQP), which also included a computer based knowledge validation (KV), the procedures validation (PV), and the maneuvers validation (MV).

I started Indoc on January 23rd, so it took me about 2 1/2 months to fully complete initial training. The typically training outline is around 2 months. My training was slightly longer due to the fact that I was in the bottom third of my class, seniority-wise, so I ended up with a two week break after Indoc before starting long term training. Despite this, everyone in my class got the E175 and their choice of any base (DFW, ORD, MIA). So I selected to be a DFW based E175 FO. The two week break ended up being helpful, cause it allowed me more time to solidify the flows and memory items before I started any aircraft specific training (although I think it is still easily doable without the break in training). The program is very well structured and easy to follow. I think completing and instructing in a flight training program like ATP was a big help because I was already familiar with the fast pace and the expectation that a majority of the learning is on us. Luckily my entire class was cadet instructors, so it was easy to find other highly-motivated, former instructors to study alongside. I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to have flows and profiles memorized before you even touch a simulator. At Envoy first officers are required to know both Captain and FO flows. This is partially because we are “captains in training” and because you could be FO/FO paired for simulator training, like I was. The expectation is that you have those all flows and profiles memorized on day 1! If you do, you’ll find the rest of the training fairly straightforward. After 32 hours in the CPT (cockpit procedure trainer) and 32 hours in the full motion sims, I felt really comfortable in the aircraft for both the MV and LOE. Unfortunately our sim training was extended a little longer than expected because of a few days of sim maintenance issues, but we finally got it done in the end! I am very thankful that I had a sharp and motivated sim partner to work with along the way! It really helped the whole process go smoothly.

Next up for me is 25 hours of IOE (initial operating experience) in the actual aircraft before I am released for reserve. Typically it only takes the training department a couple of days to get us scheduled, so my first trip could be as early as this weekend. I’m very excited to finally get the opportunity to fly the 175; it is a wonderful aircraft and I’m grateful that it is my first aircraft as an airline pilot. 3 years ago I took an intro flight at ATP during the pandemic with the hopes that one day I could make it as an airline pilot, so it is a very proud moment to be where I am today. I am thankful and honored that I have the opportunity to represent Envoy and the American Airlines Group as a first officer.

Once again, I’m thankful to all of my former students, instructors, and training staff at both ATP and Envoy that have helped me along the way. Without them, this wouldn’t have been possible. There’s still more work to do, but yesterday was a big step in my career. I will be sure to add some updates at the end of IOE (hopefully with some pictures!).

Thanks,

Roscoe

8 Likes

Roscoe,

Awesome update and thank you for sharing it with us! Also, thank you for posting such a detailed write up.

Anywhere good scheduled for IOE?

Chris

1 Like

Great update Roscoe!

Congrats on your success!

Adam

1 Like

Chris,

Thank you! I just got my first four day IOE trip scheduled to start on Monday:

CLT-MEM
MEM-DFW
DFW-FAR
FAR-DFW
DFW-LIT
LIT-DFW
DFW-MAF
MAF-DFW

With overnights in MEM, FAR, and LIT. Pretty happy (and lucky) that I get to start from home, in Charlotte, even though I’ll be moving to Dallas in the next couple of weeks. I’m excited to get started!

Roscoe

3 Likes

Roscoe,

Congrats on passing LOE! I look forward to possibly crossing paths through the American network.

Brady

1 Like

Roscoe,

I love reading updates like this! From a zero time student to fulfilling your dream at an airline, what a ride it’s been. Plus to start your IOE in Charlotte, how cool! Try to catch a peak of JQF on departure!

Hannah

1 Like

Is that concord international airport?

Moamin,

JQF is Concord-Padgett Regional, in Concord, NC.

Brady

1 Like

I downloaded the foreflight app. Thank you it’s good to know.