Career change at 31

Cory,

Welcome to the forums, the questions you have are not obsolete at all and are frequently asked on a daily basis. I was like you working at a computer all day in a bank and always saw these planes turning base to final right by our big glass windows, I couldn’t stand being inside all day…jealous. First off, 31 is not that old, in fact I see students that are much older than that in my training center, they all have the same drive as you, to change the pace of their career and want to start something new and lifelong.

The Flex Track program is ATP’s new program, it offers individuals that want to work and still partake in flying. You have the flexibility to work the schedule, offering days of flying and standby days - I have a student currently that is in the Flex Program and his phase of training with this weather the last week has made it difficult and he was able to work with me on being flexible all week long. Your age is not a disqualifier in any interview, in fact you have an advantage that you may have more experiences with answering interview style questions; most, if not all airlines will use a TMAAT and STAR format.

I’d recommend if you could, to look at the Fast Track Program to not delay your progression to reach your goal. CFI jobs are stopping to pop up more frequently in today’s time (post-covid) since all the high time CFIs are being picked up under the wings of the Part 121 (airline) world. I know students that graduated after me who have if not, but the same amount of hours as me and they started instructing before me at a “mom and pop” flight school. Moving is ultimately your discretion if you feel that your area wouldn’t provide enough hours or you’re in a financial predicament.

I recommend checking these following threads to answer some questions more in depth:

Brady