Career

Josh,

Unfortunately I cannot. Further when it comes to criminal records there are simply too many variables to give an accurate answer.

Your best option is to speak to a Regional recruiter and ask them.

Adam

Depends on what your misdemeanor is for and how much Airlines need pilots. Search felony, misdemeanor, dui, dwi and you will find posts that answer most of your questions on this site.

If you misdemeanor is considered a felony in Canada, that will be an issue that costs thousands to fix.

Chris F.

Josh,
From a major airline point of view, if you work at a regional for a period of time and excel, your past from before becomes a distant memory. Major airlines would look more at what you have done in addition to just flying the line at a regional…ie line check airman, work in training dept, or it could be that you do work with other organizations. Bottom line is if you end up at a regional, keep looking for opportunities to better yourself professionally and personally and never give up in advancing your career due to a self-imposed limitation.

Is there any possibility to get my commercial pilot license with in a year

Abel,

Very possible. In fact with ATP you can get all your licenses and ratings through CFI in only 9mos.

I recommend you visit our FAQ section or the ATP website as we outline the process in detail.

Adam

Thank you so much glad to hear that

Discovery flight went very well today, almost had me to the point to bite the bullet and get started ASAP! I’ll definitely think about starting around the turn of the new year.

1 Like

Josh,

I am glad the flight went well. What did you enjoy the most about it?

Chris

1 Like

In all honesty, everytime I take off, any sort of stress or issues from daily life just disappear. I get this feeling of freedom and peace (and focus, cause I’m flying lol). It’s a feeling I haven’t ever experienced before with anything else. The cincy location kinda felt like home too.

Josh,

Gotta tell you I completely understand what you’re saying. The cockpit has always been my “happy place”. Literally no matter what else is going on in my life there’s no room for it on the flightdeck. I had a smart watch I used to wear and my BP was actually lowest when I was at work :slight_smile:

Adam

I love it. First time in a relatively new archer threw me off due to only training in a '74 172. That was an adjustment for sure. Great instructor and sells itself. Downside is I’m looking at 95k but in the long run could be a huge payoff considering how fast It could you you there.

Josh,
So glad to hear you loved not only the ATP location and aircraft but the feeling up in the sky too. It sounds like you really do have “the love of it”, which is so important when training gets tough. The archers are pretty darn sweet, only a few years old. Definitely a stand out compared to other flight schools with 70s and 80s model planes. Just wait until you see the brand new G1000 archers during your TAA training… :slight_smile:

-Hannah

Thanks, Hannah!

It all feels really good right now. I know the process will be stressful but worth it in the end.

I’ll be in touch with this thread when I have a start date!

Hey Adam!

I guess another concern I have is the potential consequences of even a single check bust. Obviously I understand this is a self starter program and I’ll have to pour the sweat and tears (hopefully, not blood) into the program. But with the loan amount and such…are the instruction and resources efficient enough to pass straight through as long as I bring it all on my end.

I’ve always been one motivated by the stress of failure and I’d be throwing everything on the line with this program. It’s a daunting thought and even my parents have the concern of failure with a loan. I guess i just don’t want to find myself with below average CFI instruction and the lack of structure.

Basically seems like a leap of faith, one controllable by the individual (me) in this situation.

Josh,

I respectfully disagree that this is anything remotely like a leap of faith. I think the fact that ATP has successfully trained thousands of pilots for the airlines for over 35yrs clearly demonstrates the program, and ATPs instructor selection, works. That’s been proven beyond any doubt. The variable in this scenario is YOU. YOUR abilities, dedication and effort are the question? While a single checkride bust will not impact career, if that happens it will not be due to ATPs inefficient “instruction and resources”.

I have to be frank here, it sounds like you’re already looking for excuses to point a finger someplace other than at yourself. Again myself, the other mentors on this forum and the thousands of successful students are your proof the program is tested and works and works extremely well.

Adam

Ah my apologies for coming off that way, I understand it’s all on me. And no other, I probably have been spending too much time on random blogs and such where those negative thoughts are. Probably from people who failed out or didn’t even attempt it.

It works if you work it

Josh,

I don’t see ATP’s program as a leap of faith, but I do see your point of view as a lack of faith. Lack of faith in the program, the resources, the instructors…and perhaps yourself.

I wrote this article to help others succeed in the program. I suggest you read it if you haven’t already:
https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-does-an-atp-student-need-to-do-to-be-successful/10421

Tory

1 Like

Yeah, Tory. Thank you for sharing. The proof is in the numbers with the success rate. It is a lack of faith/fear of failure on my end.

But to succeed, it’s all on me

Josh,
I’m going to add to the choir here… ATP has figured out the most efficient path for creating airline pilots. If it didn’t work, it wouldn’t be as successful as it is. The program is proven to work for most but the variable is the effort of the student. The path is there to a successful program completion but it doesn’t come without the full commitment of the student. As the saying goes, “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.”

-Hannah