Making the switch to flying

Hello. My name is Chris and I am 28, nearly 29 years old. I have been teaching middle school for the last several years, but flying and aviation in general has always been my passion…even obsession. I used to have my parents drive the 45 minutes to the closest airport (BDL) to let me watch the planes take off and land when I was a kid.

I have hours accumulated toward my PPL (40), but with my hectic work schedule at my teaching job I never got it done. However, yesterday I gave my notice and I am planning at enrolling at ATP in Hartford over the summer. The switch admittedly scares the hell out of me, leaving a relatively comfortable salary and “regular” schedule, but I know that this is the one thing that I can’t live my life without going for and be happy with myself.

I’ve done my research and decided that I’d go for the Hartford location since it’s about 25 minutes from me, and I have a very supportive girlfriend and family. I have some savings built up, but I will have to take a loan out to cover the difference. I have a pilot friend who flies for Republic and he says it is absolutely and unequivocally the best choice he has ever made in his life.

I want to use this mostly as an introduction, I’ve lurked for a long while as a non member and more recently as a member. I will take any advice, the good the bad and the ugly from anyone who wants to give it to me in this journey. I understand it will be a lifestyle change and the first few years will be a bit of a shock, but my previous job has left me unfulfilled and I feel at peace with all of this. I have a B.S. and masters currently, and I know that that has some say in my future but it’s far from the end all be all. If anyone has any pointed advice for someone at my stage in the game, I’d love to hear it. And to the people who have provided their wisdom, schedules etc…I thank you. I’m glad I finally made my first post.

Chris

2 Likes

Chris,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for the detailed introduction. Making the career switch is definitely a huge move. The best thing you can do is to try and get ahead on your written exams, you can read more about that here: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Let us know how else we can help you along the way!

Chris

Sup Chris,

Nice intro. I second Chris’ suggestion about the written tests. I would also read through the FAQ section of the forum. There’s some good articles in there that will help you maximize your potential and help you set realistic expectations.

Tory

Hi Chris,

I wanted to know your experience so far, and whether or not you have started yet.

Sorry for the delay…I have. It’s great. I did my first solo yesterday, 2 hours of PIC time in the books!