40 years old career transition

I am currently 40 years old, i am currently a automotive technician with 20 years experience with no desire to continue as a flat rate mechanic or move into management( customers relations) and not interested in menial hourly pay of a foreman. I am fully consumed with aviation, I know 99% of the science and would only need to learn current ground school and current navigation techniques, am I too old? am I expecting too much? what are my chances of being a successful pilot at this age, I know i can do it but would it be worth it? p.s. considering attending ATP school in Jacksonville Fl
, any advise would be much appreciated, Thank you , Tom.

Thomas,

Have you ever taken a discovery flight in a small trainer aircraft? It’s very different than riding in the back of an airbus. There isn’t much “science” to know. Flying takes a unique skill set that you either can learn and adapt or can’t. The only way you’ll know is to get flying a bit and see.

You’re definitely not too old to start but the hiring wave is starting to slow so time is of the essence. If you do well in discovery flights you can start exploring the steps to apply for the program.

Hannah

Hannah,

Thankyou for the reply. I have been up in several different types of small planes before, including a Cessna 172 Skyhawk, and several older open cockpit biplanes. I enjoy it very much. I have taken the controls to perform some basic turns but not much more than that, I was wondering what it involved in the discovery flight, if it is just sort of like an airplane ride like that or if it is more involved? I believe my next step is to get the FAA medical cert, just to confirm, is that required for the discovery flight? You mentioned the hiring wave is starting to slow. I am not concerned about being too old to fly, but being too old to compete in the pilot job market at my age just starting out. I realize it will be a few years untill I might be able to command a decent pay. How good or bad is the pilot job market? One last question for now, while being an instructor at ATP, do you get paid?

Thankyou for taking the time to respond.
Tom

Tom,

Aviation by nature is cyclical and hard to predict. Right now hiring is strong. Next week, next month, next year is impossible to predict. 3-4 years ago things were at their peek, all it took was a little virus to bring it all to a halt.

That said those with the will, skills and understanding will always find a job.

Adam

Tom,

Yes, ATP CFIs are paid, check out this link: Flying as a Certificated Flight Instructor (CFI) / ATP Flight School

Hello.
I really do love to learn and work as pilots, kindly help me to get it start at the soonest possible time.

Best regards

Adam

Abdul,

Review the link Adam provided above plus browse the ATP website as well as this forum to find many the answers to many commonly asked questions. Of course, feel free to chime in if you have any specific questions you cant find the answers to. We’d be happy to help.

Hannah