After flying school

Hello, I just wanted to know how difficult it was to get a job at a regional airline, after I graduate, and get all of my hours as a flight instructor. And, how long after that would I be able to get into a major airline?

Jose,

With the pilot shortage we are currently experiencing, it has never been easier to get a job at a regional.

Once at a regional, it will take approximately 4+ years to get to a major airline.

Keep in mind, this industry is all about timing. Each pilot will experience their own set of challenges and road blocks. Some never make it to a major.

Tory

1 Like

Jose,

I recommend you visit the FAQ section as it will answer most if not all your questions. Short answer is if you’ve got a clean record you should have no problem finding a Regional position immediately as the Regionals are short and actively recruiting. As for the Major the average these days seem to be around 7yrs. The shortest I’ve heard is 2, longest is never. Flying for a Major is the pinnacle of our profession and frankly not everyone gets the call.

Adam

1 Like

Trans States Airlines visited ATP Daytona a few weeks ago. I also visited with ExpressJet a day earlier when they came to another school in the area. Both airline reps stated that they are seeing a substantial percentage of their pilots get hired straight from the right seat. One of the Trans States FOs was apparently able to pull some strings and left the airline for Delta after 3 months of flying the line. Keep in mind those are stories from recruiters and your mileage WILL vary but it paints a pretty promising picture for those seeking job prospects in the not so distant future.

1 Like