Age, College and Flight School

Hello-
My name is Jennifer and I’m 29 years old. I have an associates degree currently. I have decided to pursue my dream of being a pilot at this stage in my life and enroll at ATP. However, since I know the majors prefer individuals with 4 year degrees, I am undecided if I should complete my bachelors first, which would take me approximately 2 more years putting me at 31 years old. Or should I go through the zero program at ATP first and then try to finish my bachelors online perhaps once with the regionals ? What would be the better route to go considering my age? Would greatly appreciate any advice!

Jennifer,

I’d do some searching in this forum as this topic comes up often. Totally your call but I’d get cracking. While you’re far from old, the youngin’s def have a jump on you. If you were currently in school I’d say continue since you’re already there, BUT you’re not. Two years can equate to a considerable amount of seniority and earnings over the life of your career. You’re half way to a 4yr degree, earn your licenses and ratings and you can get a fair amount of credits for those. In a little over a year while flying for a Regional building time and experience you can earn your 4yr degree online and you’re on track.

Again your call but for me it’s not even a choice.

Adam

Jennifer,

Option B. You should get into the airlines as soon as possible, then work on the degree. Many before you have completed their degrees while working for the regional airlines.

Chris

Agreed. Start flying. Finish the degree later.

Tory

1 Like