Air Force path

If I fly in the air force for 5 years, when I get out, would I be able to fly for the major carriers immidietly?

Peter,

That’s not the norm. It has happened, but most start at the regionals.

Tory

Ok because I am thinking af rotc for flying but my main goal is to get to the major carriers right after but thanks!

Peter,

Many pilots do make the jump straight from the military to the major airlines. It really just depends on how much time they acquire while in the service and what airlines are hiring at the time.

Check with a recruiter, but I believe the minimum commitment for a pilot in any branch of the armed forces is ten years.

Chris

Ok. Thank you so much. I will take that into consideration.

Any time. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Ok thanks!

Peter,

That really depends on the equipment you fly and more important the amount of flying you do. I know a number of pilots who flew in the Airforce and many really didn’t do that much flying. Fighters for example usually do relatively short missions and don’t fly that often. Regardless of whether you fly for the military or a Regional, your flight time needs to be competitive to be considered for a Major.

Adam

Ok thanks a lot!

There’s a YouTube video by C.W. Lemoine where he discusses his career as an Air Force Guard F-16 pilot that ended up flying for a major airline.

I have a good friend that went the Guard route flying KC-135 tankers out of Kansas, built up his hours and got hired by a major airline. I also had a coworker get hired by the AZ Guard flying tankers out of sky harbor in Phoenix but that was before COVID hit. Not sure what the hiring is like right now.

If you do your research into Air National Guard units that fly heavies then you could get a pretty sweet gig flying around the world as a brand new pilot and building hours towards getting hired straight to the majors. You’ll need to have a 4 year degree first and then get hired by the Guard unit.

I’m sure the mentors on here have flown with their share of Guard pilots in their careers.

Clint,

You’re correct I fly with a large number of Guard pilots. From the sound of Peter’s post, his goal is a quick route to the Majors. While serving in the military is extremely admirable and respected, every military pilot I know offers the same advice. Your primary reason for enlisting needs to be to serve your country a it’s a huge responsibility. While you may have the opportunity to fly some very cool equipment and you can’t beat the cost, it’s nowhere near the fastest route and the level of commitment is huge.

If a person’s desire is to serve their country then by all means but if it’s simply to become an airline pilot there are much more efficient and simpler routes.

Adam