Aircrafts

Hello Fellow Pilots,
I have a few questions regarding pilots aircraft choice. Say a pilot is currently flying a A320 for his/her airline and they want to upgrade up to a A350. How often can they switch aircraft? Do they have to wait for a certain amount of hours, months, years or is it a certain time of a year where they can upgrade. I know it’s all about seniority and all that. Lastly say I just got out of flying for the minor airlines and I am going to the majors. Do I put in a bid for an aircraft I want to fly (again I know about seniority)? Like can I just go straight into a 787 if by chance I get really lucky or is it a requirement that I fly a small domestic plane first.
THANKS, Corey.

Corey,

You’ve answered your own question. It’s all about seniority. There’s no way for us to give you an answer based on an estimated amount of time. Transitioning to a different airplane depends on the number of positions open and how many senior pilots are bidding for it.

I doubt anyone would be able to go straight into a 78. When hired at a major, you may or may not be asked which aircraft you prefer. Again, it depends on what the company has available at the time.

Tory

Corey,

As you and Tory both stated it’s all about seniority when it comes time to “transition” to other aircraft (you upgrade your position from FO to Capt, planes you transition). While the time to transition can vary based on aircraft, base etc. most airlines have a “seat lock” of 2-3 years for the move. You see training pilots is very expensive and to have pilots jump from plane to plane every few months would cost a fortune. As Tory said the likely hood of being assigned the 787 as a newhire is unlikely there is nothing prohibiting it, nothing requiring you to fly a smaller plane first and it does happen. A few years back the 777 was a junior aircraft for a while at Continental and newhires went straight to that. I’m at Hawaiian and we’ll be getting the 787s in 2020. People are always a little shy when a new plane comes on property so there’s a good chance a few of our new guys will get it.

Adam

Occasionally the 757 at United goes to new hire pilots, but noe of the wide bodies ever do anymore.