ATP's Airline Direct Track

Hi all,
I am thinking about becoming a pilot and enrolling at ATP in a few months. I have been researching the Airline Direct Track and I’m not sure what to make of it (Airline Direct Track for Airline Career Pilot Program / ATP Flight School).

Other than speeding up the process does it help land better jobs at airlines because of the sim and jet time?

Do all the students that go straight to a B737 or A320 go through this or is it possible to do without?

An extra $170,000 seems like a hefty price to pay when you could be getting paid to flight instruct or have the opportunity to build hours on a friend’s plane.

Hey Tommy, Admissions here!

It seems you have really great questions. Feel free to give us a call at your convenience so that we may better assist you and answer all questions.

ATP Admissions is available M-F 8am-7pm EST and our phone number is 904-595-7950.

1 Like

Tommy,

ATP strives to offer its students options. There are some people who are adamantly opposed to flight instructing or other low time jobs. This is a way to avoid that and still get to the point where you have the mins for an airline. The info is clearly states: “Recommended Airline Direct Track students can participate in A320 and B737 Direct Programs with Spirit, Frontier, Avelo, and Sun Country” (as can any successful ATP grad). There are no guarantees.

Adam

1 Like

Tommy,

The Direct Track is for those who REALLY do not want to flight instruct. It does make the process faster and the sim and jet time looks good on a resume. That being said, the vast majority of ATP’s students go the flight instructing route, including all of the mentors on this website.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for the response,

Makes sense. Did you flight instruct? If so, how long did it take you to get to 1500 hours?

Tommy

Tommy,

I did BUT I did it years before the 1500hr rule so I didn’t have to instruct for long.

The average ATP instructor takes about 1-1.5yrs to build the time.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks for that info. Seems like the direct path just saves 3-5 months so I guess that only factor would be if it lands a way better job off the bat. It seems the regional airlines are paying first year’s pretty good now, so probably best not to spend $170k to just get into an Airbus or Boeing off the bat. I wonder the ratio of the pilots who got hired by Frontier or Spirit from the Airline Direct vs CFI route.

Tommy

Tommy,

Couldn’t tell you for certain but since there are more Regionals hiring right now AND because the Direct Track is HIGHLY selective I’m pretty sure more go to the Regionals.

Adam

Tommy,

Seems like? The regionals are paying great rates right now, many are coming to negotiations and extensions to current pay rates this summer. However, the Direct Track program is highly selective and not frequently mentioned because it’s not fit for everyone. The other thing to note is that the straight to Frontier and Spirit partnership ATP has is for CFI’s, not sure if any Direct Track members qualify? There is probably some fine lines in the partnership agreement between ATP and airlines that allow CFI’s to go right seat in the Airbus.

Brady

1 Like

Brady,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have more clarity on the paths to take and being a CFI seems like a great path, and also cool that path doesn’t rule out an airbus (I expect to go to regional but would be cool to have that door open). It doesn’t seem like the direct gives a huge competitive advantage, especially not for $170k. Im sure teaching has many benefits and helps you become a better pilot.

Tommy

Tommy,

I also was before the 1,500 hour rule and yes, I did flight instruct for ATP. I thought it was one of the most rewarding and educational periods of my career in aviation. I learned so much during that period that really helped me down the road.

Chris

1 Like

Tommy,

I agree with Chris here, flight instructing definitely made me a better pilot as well. Being able apply take the knowledge and skill you have of flying and teach it will greatly improve your own.

Brady

1 Like

Tommy,

It may surprise you to hear that flying as airline pilots isn’t that much different than Instrument cross countries in a Cessna. So much of what you learn during that time will help provide you with a solid foundation for the rest of your career. Don’t discount that valuable experience.

Hannah

1 Like