Captain-seniority at the majors

Adam and Chris,
Hypothetical Question.
Lets say your a captain for say Delta or Hawaiian. You’re flying the 717. Lets say you’re now 60yrs old and they retire that plane. What does that do to your seniority? Basically what becomes of you? Do you get transitioned to say a 737? If so are you going to be a captain of the 737 or back to FO?

Don,

Your seniority is based on your time with the company, not the airplane you are on. So, if somebody is a 767 Captain and they retire that airplane, thoss pilots will get to go wherever their seniority holds . There will be no reason to start over as a first officer as it is not necessary to fly as an FO before being Captain on an airplane.

Chris

Don,

The question you ask is actually happening right now at Hawaiian as the airline is retiring our 767s. Last month the company held a “displacement bid” since all the 767 pilots will be displaced. A displacement bid is different than a normal system bid in that normally there must be an available open slot to transition to another airplane. BUT when there’s a displacement bid, as long as your seniority can hold it you get it (whether it be Capt or FO). This is turn may “displace” another pilot which gives them the same right and so on. In my case I was actually a little nervous as I’m one of the most junior Capts at the airline and I was afraid I was going to get pushed back to FO but fortunately I was able to hang on (by 3 slots!).

Adam

2 Likes

Thanks for the response guys. In my situation I’m looking to enter the majors around age 50-52. I’m interested in a major that would give me the opportunity to make captain. That being said Delta with the fleet of 717 would fit that nicely. My concern would be how long before they start retiring that airframe. Other major of interest is Spirit as they have relatively low upgrade time. With all that’s said, not making captain at the majors wouldn’t turn me away from the profession. When the time comes to apply for the regionals I do plan on pursuing PSA. Worst case scenario I’d flow to AA around 55yrs old and be a FO till retirement.

Don,

Delta (and Hawaiian) are going to keep their 717s flying until the wings fall off! They’re incredible airplanes and there really is no replacement out there that will do what they do as well as they do. That said they will have to find something and that will serve the same purpose.

While Spirit is a fine airline it’s really not considered a Major (and their pay rates reflect that) but if you’re there and happy who cares? Finally I think your 3-5yr flow to AA might be a little optimistic but who knows things could change. I just wouldn’t count on it.

Adam

I was giving the flow 10 years. I’m 43 right now and starting ATP in February with my private and around 300 hours. I plan to make it to PSA by age 45. I would need the 717’s to stay flying for 23 more years! :flushed:

Don,

My bad. I misread your post. Not sure they’re gonna last that long.

Adam

I’m also thinking they won’t as well. That’s where my original post came from. Would hate to make captain than have it pulled out from under me as they retire the plane. Just trying to weigh all my options.

Keep in mind that Spirit is not a true major, most would consider then a “national carrier” and even if they are technically a major, they are certainly not a legacy carrier.

If a place has quick upgrade times, that is because people are leaving the company. This is a good thing at the regional level. At the national or major level, it should give pause for thought.

Don,

You do not need the 717s to keep flying because when they go, they will be replaces with something else. Airplane types come and go, routes generally do not.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I’m with you on Spirit. There might very well be something there. I’d have to see when the time comes. I’m hoping it’s more of a turn over rate because of the pay being less than the big dogs. I have heard Delta is getting the CS100. I believe it will ultimately be to replace both the MD’s and the 717’s.

“Delta is getting the CS100. I believe it will ultimately be to replace both the MD’s and the 717’s”.

That remains to be seen if they can hold up to the abuse. They flew one out here for Hawaiian to check out. Apparently it’s a nice plane but it will come down to endurance and reliability. Currently our 717’s fly an average of 14 cycles a day with full seats and bags. Most planes can’t hold up which is why we recently flew to Spain and outbid Delta for two 717’s that were out there.

Adam

1 Like

Nice! I’d much prefer the 717. From what I’ve seen in videos I like the layout and controls much better.

I’m not a fan of the sidestick

Have you flown with one?

Adam

Cirrus. I prefer a yoke.

Very different but ok.

Adam