Chances of becoming a pilot with a felont

In 2017 when I was 19 years of age I got a felony class 4 for criminal damage to property. I was young, and naive and realize what I did was wrong. It’s been 5 years since the incident, and I qualify to have the felony expunged in the next 2-3 years. I was wondering how this would affect my ability to become a commercial/airline pilot. I have looked into it and do know that I need a specific security clearance to enter the ramp at airports, and that the background check they run goes back 10 years. By the time I made it to even a regional airline I would be just about or passed the 10 year mark since the incident happened. I have also seen instances of many airline pilots keeping their career after getting felonies while employed at an airline and CFIs who are felons/sex offenders. Is it worth it to pursue my career as a pilot and obtain hours as a commercial pilot/CFI ?

1 Like

Adrian,

Yeah, it could be possible but from here on out, you are going to need a SQUEAKY CLEAN record (driving too) and maintain that for the rest of your days. The airlines and the federal government, do not care about expunged records. They will ask “Have you EVER been convicted of a…” and being dishonest is a terrible idea there.

I’d do a couple of things before you touch an airplane:

1. Get a first class medical from an AME.
  2. Reach out to an aviation attorney (won’t be free) - That will give you the most legal answer.
  3. Do your homework on what airlines you can work for. Might be just regionals?? I’d reach out to their recruiting depts and ask them.

I think if you follow through with what I told you above, you will definitely find your answer of “is it worth it”.

http://faalawdefense.com/

Lucas

Adrian,

First off I’m not aware of “many airline pilots keeping their career after getting felonies while employed at an airline and CFIs who are felons/sex offenders”. I have (particularly as a union rep) seen many pilots loose their jobs due to indiscretions or bad behavior that were not even felonies. A sex offender flight instructors are an invitation to a law suit. Airlines are very much in the public eye and should someone with a record have a bad day at work the media would have a field day. Second when it comes to federal background checks there is no expunged.

Now whether or not you can get an airline jobs depends heavily on a) you keeping yourself completely clean and b) you having a really nice resume to counter the felony. That means a perfect training record with no accidents or incidents, solid letters of recommendation, etc etc. Basically you need to be able to demonstrate that the crime was an anomaly and not who you are. That all said getting to a Major will be tough.

Adam

There were a few articles I read of airline pilots in Texas, Oklahoma and a few other southern states that had been charged with felonies during the course of their career. Yes, I know not before they were hired, but still. — In Texas alone, WFAA found pilots who have had criminal convictions the past 10 years that could have allowed the FAA to sanction or revoke the pilots’ licenses.

Of the 80 Texas-based airline pilots we found with convictions:

• 30 convictions include aggravated sexual assault of a child, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, injury to a child, indecent exposure, prostitution, forgery, and burglary.

• 50 convictions are for substance abuse, including airline pilots with two, or even three or more driving while intoxicated convictions. —— it’s apparently a pretty serious problem of pilots not reporting incidents to the FAA. I just figured I may have a fighting chance with all that being said. Thanks for the advice though! It’s greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Adrian,

Welcome to the forum. Expunging your record means nothing to the FAA. Expungements are handled at the state level and the federal government does not recognize expungements. Regardless of that, the FAA will ask “have you ever” and you need to answer that truthfully.

I found the article you quoted from. There is a big difference in something happening before certification and hiring and it happening afterwards. At some point, the airlines have a ton of money invested in a pilot, plus coupled with a union contract, they decide to keep the pilot. Hiring somebody with past indiscretions is a much different thing.

I would suggest you contact an aviation attorney and the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly.

Chris

Adrian do you have any updates?