Commercial vs Cargo

Hello all! I’ve been looking at soo many different airlines on (airlinepilotcentral.com), they have almost every airlines profile, though some are not up to date. One that caught my eye is UPS. Is there anyone on here that could offer me a perspective of flying for a commercial airline vs a cargo airline? Similarities and differences? One thing I noticed is they have an 81 hour monthly guarantee, that’s higher than all I’ve found.
Thank you!
Garner

Garner,

Fundamentally UPS is an airline like any other Majors and they require the same licenses, ratings and experience.

As for min guarantees that varies from airline to airline (usually between 65-80). While higher is nice, particularly if you’re on Reserve, it’s not really something I’d give too much weight to. The thing to keep mind with a higher guarantee is that usually means a higher level the airline will build the lines to which can mean more flying than you might want to.

One thing UPS does have that is very unique in the industry is UPS pay is solely determined by seniority, not airplane. A 5yr FO will get paid the same whether they’re flying a 757, A330 or 747. Virtually every other airline in the country the bigger the plane, the higher the pay.

The other obvious difference is UPS flys boxes not passengers. The plus side is no passenger disturbances, medical emergencies, flight attendant drama, etc. The down side is boxes like to fly at night. While their pilots get used to the backside of the clock schedule, humans are not really nocturnal.

There are obviously pros and cons to both but the process again is really the same. When the time comes it’s up to decide if you’d rather be a truck or a bus driver.

Adam

3 Likes

Thank you Adam!
A busier schedule being the by product of the higher minimums makes sense. I could see that being great and wanted at the start but then getting tired of it after a while. But I guess that’s where seniority comes in😂. Do you know any Cargo pilots? If so how do they take to the night time flying, I’m very much a night owl, often laying in bed doing nothing still awake at 1-3 A.M. But I could also see those hours being fine except maybe hard to adjust once your on the days off and doing things earlier in the day! Thank you for your insights.
Garner

Garner,

I know quite a few, some love it, others not so much. As for being a night owl trust me, it’s one thing to be up from 1- 3am, starting a day of flying at that time is something different, but everyone is different.

For me that’s the #1 reason I don’t do widebody flying. I fly for Hawaiian and all our Asia and Oceania returns in the wee hours. Totally kicked my butt. But again others love it.

Adam

1 Like