Commute Pilot 2 Hour Reserve

I have seen the reserve schedules as 12-hour reserve and 2-hour reserve. From my understanding, that means you must be able to report to the airport in either 12-hours or in 2-hours. If that is true, if you are commuting and are on the 2-hour reserve, would you have to be at the airport at base because 2 hours really isn’t feasible to commute?

Hey Kolin,

You are correct. Most pilots who commute and are on short call reserve usually stay at a crash pad near the base. It’s a real killer especially if you have family since it takes away your time being home. I myself plan to live in base at whatever airline I join. Even 12 hour reserve might require you to be near base depending on weather, delays, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

1 Like

Kolin,

Is it feasible? Yes. Is it pleasant? Definitely not. One of the great things about this job is you can literally commute from anywhere. One of the worse is if you choose to live anywhere YOU are responsible for getting yourself to work. 12hr Reserve (aka Long Call) makes things a little easier as in some cases you should be able to get to work in 12hrs from most places. 2-3hr (Short Call) makes things more interesting and yes if you don’t live within driving distance that means flying in the night or day before and sitting and waiting. As Michael said that often means a crashpad, hotel or staying with a friend and just hanging out and waiting. So does that mean if you’re on short call for 5 days in a row you need to just hang out away from home on the couch waiting? Yes it does. Factor in bad weather that could mean you need to come in 2 or more days in advance.

This is why commuting isn’t recommended (even though many pilots do) and Reserve is usually not fun.

Adam

When you are placed on reserve, is that considered a paid day? Or do you only get paid while in the air?

Adam,

Thank you for the reply!

Another question: When you do commute, is it always in a jump seat, or are you able to commute in the regular passengers seats? Is it all dependent upon if the flight is full or do you always have to jump seat?

Nick,

All airlines have a minimum monthly guarantee (usually around 75hrs). If you fly anything below that 75hrs you get paid the minimum 75hrs. Go above you get that. Reserve days actually have no value.

Adam

Kolin,

When you commute it’s called Jumpseating but if there’s a seat in the back it’s yours, if not you’re upfront. Funfact, the heavy jet jumpseats are actually pretty cozy and I have often asked to fly in the cockpit vs a middle seat in back.

Adam

1 Like

Depends on the airline. At Southwest we actually get paid a daily minimum of 6.0 on reserve - if you end up working, then you get paid whichever is greater. But I think we are in the minority on this one.