Commute to work

Good Afternoon, this is day one for me, digging for info and everything. I live in Wilson, NC, closest major airport is RDU. if I end up working for a small regional airport, would I be able to live anywhere as long as I can make my connecting flight? Does the regional airline pay for those flights?

William,

Whether it’s a small Regional or a Legacy Major, the airlines don’t care where you live as long as you show up for work on time and rested.

As for paying for it, commuting is a choice and it’s YOUR responsibility not only to get to work on time, but how you do it as well. Fortunately as pilots we have the ability to jumpseat on any airline for free. Provided of course there’s spare available.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for that quick response Adam,

What about hotels and food? I think my Uncle said they put up their pilots in hotels who have partnership with them? For example, is it ATL that has the big one for delta right at the airport?

William,

Well kind of. When you’re on a trip and you have an overnight the airline provides the hotel (not before or after). In addition all pilots get paid per diem which is money paid for all your time on duty.

Thing is it’s not much (approx $1.5-2hr) which if I did use it to pay for my food I’d be much thinner! :grinning:

Adam

William,

Yes, you can live wherever you like, but keep in mind that it is on you to get there. I am currently in DEN, trying to get to ORF. Our flight cancelled and now I am on Fedex, will take all night to get home. So yes, you can do it, but yes, it comes at a price.

Chris

William,

A recent thread as well:

Brady