Criminal Record!

Hello,

Just trying to make the smartest decision I can and would love to hear constructive criticism from the professionals. On my record I was charged with a grand theft 3rd degree felon in the state of Florida the judge settle the case with a “no actioned” which means the state attorney did not prosecute the case. I was arrested, fingerprinted and spent time in jail until my hearing came into action. This is the one and only negativism I have on my record. With that being said, will this affect my opportunity becoming a professional airline pilot in the regional level and in the major or even enrolling with ATP? At the time I was 20 years old I am now 28 with nothing else negative legally attached to my name, and a credit score of 670.

Thanks,

William

William,

Honestly, I am not sure. There was a time when I would have said absolutely not, but times have changed and the regional airlines are desperate. However, the major airlines are not desperate and never will be, so I do not see any chance at all there.

As a general rule, companies are not fans of lying, cheating and stealing. I think you have a hard path ahead of you.

I would contact the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly.

Chris

William,

As long as you meet the requirements ATP will accept you as a student. As Chris said in today’s environment you should also be ok on the Regional level. The problem may come when/if you want to go to a Major. Airlines don’t like criminal records and they are no where near as desperate as the Regionals.

Frankly you won’t know for certain until you try. That said you absolutely must remain squeaky clean and get that credit score up.

Adam

Hello,

I have a similar question regarding the FAA medical questionnaire regarding criminal records. I was arrested for shoplifting when I was 19 (i’m 23 now and have a squeaky clean record otherwise). I was issued an ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal) and I completed community service so the case was dismissed and my record was sealed. There was no conviction but I am unsure how to fill out the FAA medical forms because it wasn’t alcohol/drug related. Apologies if this is an ignorant question but I am a bit confused looking at the forms. Additionally, how do you think this would affect my aviation career?

Thank you for your time!

Cas,

Not trying to be curt but it’s really very simple. The question is “have you EVER been ARRESTED?”. If you have the answer is yes, if you haven’t the answer is no.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you for responding. Can you point me to the form/question that specifically asks “have you ever been arrested?” (I may have the wrong form then). Please correct me if I am looking at the wrong form, but the one I am looking at from the FAA website asks the following:

“18.v. Conviction and/or Administrative Action History. The events to be reported are
specifically identified in Item 18.v. of FAA Form 8500-8. If “yes” is checked, the
applicant must describe the conviction(s) and/or administrative action(s) in the
EXPLANATIONS box. The description must include:
• The alcohol or drug offense for which the applicant was convicted or the type of
administrative action involved (e.g., attendance at an educational or rehabilitation
program in lieu of conviction; license denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation
for refusal to be tested; educational safe driving program for multiple speeding
convictions; etc.)”

"18.w. History of nontraffic convictions. The applicant must report any other (nontraffic)
convictions (e.g., assault, battery, public intoxication, robbery, etc.). The applicant
must name the charge for which convicted and the date of the conviction(s), and copies
of court documents (if available). (See Item 47, page 115). "

To me this reads that any arrest that involved a drug, alcohol, or motor vehicle needs to be reported but anything outside of that realm, there would have to be a conviction to make it reportable.

Again, apologies for the ignorance, I’m just trying to figure this all out before I join the flight school.

Thanks!

Cas,

No need to apologize and it’s my bad. I got distracted and missed it was shoplifting. Not making excuses but most of these questions seem to involve drugs or alcohol. In your case I do think you’re fine

Sorry for the error.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for taking a look and responding so quickly. I really appreciate it!

Cas