Cross country what does it actually mean?

Ok,I don’t want to sound nieve but I gotta ask, when starting your cross country portion of your training what does that entail, does that mean your flying to certain airports in your area or flying outside your area state to state. I seem a tad unsure on this, thanks for the feedback and have wonderful weekend.

“By definition, cross-country time includes any flight conducted by a pilot in an aircraft that includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure that includes the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.” The distance from origin to landing is 50 nm or greater.

Not sure if that answers your question.

Yes sir, that answers my question fully. Thanks for the speedie response.

KC,

A “cross country” is a flight of more than 50 miles, from one airport to another. Many flight schools send their students on short out and back flights until they build enough time. These flights are typically two hours or so in length and often involve going to the same airports many times.

What sets ATP apart on this is that ATP students truly go “cross country”. When I was a student I was based at a former location in Washington, DC. From DC I flew over to Chicago, down to Dallas, across the gulf states to Florida and then back up to DC, with stops in between of course. Basically I flew a large box over half of the United States, this is very typical for an ATP student on their cross countries. Flying such long distances and into completely unfamiliar airports is an amazing experience and one that benefits the student so much more than simply flying out and back to the same airport many times.

Chris

That’s sounds like a truly amazing experience, I can’t wait. Thanks also for your response.

KC,

To second what Chris said, that’s really one of the primary reasons people should consider ATP. As stated a x-country is simply a flight of 50 mi. which when you think about it isn’t very far in an airplane. What that means is typically you’re flying in the same state/region which also means the same conditions (terrain, weather, controllers). By flying literally ACROSS the COUNTRY you’re not only learning navigation but you’re experience a variety of conditions, many of which will take you out of your comfort zone. I encountered snow and ice in Chicago, major thunderstorms in FL, mountainous terrain flying across the Appalachians, not to mention crossing a variety of airspace talking to a variety of controllers. All this while the ink is still wet on your Instrument rating. When I was done I WAS a real pilot and the confidence I gained was priceless.

Adam

1 Like

That’s exactly what I am excited about any opportunity to always challenge myself especially in this field, I am so excited to begin this journey and experience this joy and love of flight.

1 Like

Hey Adam, so you know how you said that you have encountered many types of weather conditions and all which is obvious, but when I think of bad weather and everything I immediately think of a Cessna compared to like an actual commercial plane. My question mainly has to do with turbulence. I guess based on common sense you can say that it’s far easier for a commercial plane to withstand wind and turbulence right? But then what about Like Cessna? I personally imagine like the Cessna being thrown off by the wind like a little leaf. Isn’t it scary to fly in those conditions? And how exactly would a Cessna withstand that kind of weather. Correct me if I’m wrong, is it the instrument rating that train system pilots to fly in all those kind of conditions?

Love,

You are correct, you will of course feel wind and turbulence more the smaller (and lighter) the airplane. I’ve always found turbulence more annoying than scary but obviously some people do. Most people fear the unknown and what they don’t understand. I think the more you understand that as long as the plane is properly loaded and watch your speed so as not to exceed any limitations, in most cases you’re perfectly safe it becomes much less scary. Unless of course you don’t buckle up and bang your head, that would be bad! :slight_smile:

Instrument training is more about learning to fly while relying on your instruments when you can’t see outside. Flying in wind and turbulence starts during your Private training.

Adam

Oh ok I see, thanks Adam!

what about housing, food etc while your going cross country and how long do you stay in each location

Yassin,

Housing is provided during the Crew Cross Country phase. Flight Ops will
reserve a hotel or put you up in student housing. Transportation costs to
and from the airport will be reimbursed. You are on your own for food.

Tory

Thanks tory I would also like to know what would be a good major to study,
since pilots have a lot of time off later on in their career. Potentially
something that could make you an extra income

Yassin,

You asked this question twice. I answered it in the other thread.

Tory

Yassin,

What major to study is really up to you. Pilots have all sorts of degrees and use them in all sorts of different ways to make extra money. Pick a degree that makes sense, like financial planning, as opposed to a degree that would involve a full time job, like teaching.

I will say this though, airline pilots make a good living. I recommend simply enjoying your time off and not chasing another few dollars.

Chris

2 Likes

Do pilots need to be good at physics,math etc. Do they need to know meteorology and things of that nature or do computers handle most of the work. Pretty much im looking for things i should brush up on right now before flight school/career. Thank You

Yassin,

There is a little bit of all of that involved in aviation, but I wouldn’t go crazy worrying about it as they should teach you everything you need to know in flight school. If you are headed to ATP, I would focus on getting the written exams out of the way with.

Chris

1 Like

Yassin,

You need good basic math skills (addition, subtraction). Beyond that it’s simply being able to your charts and graphs. Nothing really to brush up on.

Adam

1 Like

Hey Adam I see that you work for Hawaiian airlines and that most of their flights go to western us, Asia, south pacific etc. Do you get to actually stay in theses locations for a few days to explore, and do you do short haul or long haul

Yassin,

It depends on the destination, whether we fly there daily and in some cases the time of year. Most of the Japan trips and PEK are 24hr overnights. Australia and NZ are 3 or 4 day trips. The West Coast are anything from short 10hr overnights to 2 or 3 day trips. I started here flying Interisland, then moved to the A330 to do long haul and now I’m back doing Interisland. That’s really one of the best things about Hawaiian. I don’t believe there’s any other Major airline where pilots have a choice to see the world or be home every night.

Adam

2 Likes