Current Students who have taken writtens within the last couple months

I started at 0 hours in November and got my Private early Feb, Instrument early April, and have my commercial checkride end of June. I just finished the CAX test last week. So I’ve done all 3 tests in the last few months.

For private, I used the Sportys app ($10). I did some “learning mode” hours then took practice tests until I got 7 in a row in the 90’s. On the real test I got a 93 and I’d seen nearly all the questions.

For IRA, I used Sheppard. I followed their method to the T. I went through all the questions showing only correct answers, then scrambled them up with multiple answer choices. Then went back and really studied the tough ones (for me it was holding pattern entry and their weird VOR questions). I used YouTube mostly for tutorials. There’s a lot of great stuff out there. Then I took just 2 practice tests, got in the 90’s on both, then took the real test and got a 92.

For CAX, I also used Sheppard and did the same as above. This one was much easier. Basically a combo of IRA and Private. Not much new material. Got a 91 and had nothing new. So if you follow their methods, don’t cut corners, and put in good hours until you’re ready, the test prep is perfectly up to date.

I will say, it’s to your benefit to actually work to understand everything you’re learning for these tests. It’ll help you on the oral, and just make you a better, safer pilot. You’ll be better at everything if you actually learn this stuff rather than just memorizing for the test.

I’m not an ATP student but have gotten a lot out of these threads. I’m just using our local flight school. I’ll be at about $40-$45k from zero-commercial. I don’t plan to go CFI, I’m going to pick up other Part 135 jobs to get my hours.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Correct me if I’m wrong, but according to the faa website they will be eliminating the vor/dme rnav questions from the IRA test on their June 11 update. Are those the questions you struggled with? And thanks for the YouTube tip. I hadn’t thought about that.

Congrats on your progress btw.

Thanks Kyle. I will be sure to follow their method to a T. Good luck for the rest of your program.

Cody,

I guarantee those questions are not going anywhere as we still actively use VORs and DME. Please take this the right way, but you are really over thinking this exam. Spend less time on the FAA’s website and more time studying and you will do just fine.

Chris

I actually believe you’re both correct. According to the FAA they’re removing questions regarding VOR/DME RNAV APPROACHES since there are (or shortly will be) no more in the country. There will still be VOR/DME questions and there will still be RNAV questions. Just not questions pertaining to those particular approaches.

That said I’m with Chris. These are the FAA Knowledge exams, not the GMATs, LSATs, MCATs or the entry exam to MIT. Use the software, take the test, move on. Fun Fact: Before the rule change ATP offered a 1 Day ATP Knowledge exam written prep (arguably one of the most difficult the FAA offered with 80 questions). The average student would prep for 4-6hrs, take the test and score in the 90s.

Adam

I hadn’t heard about any questions being eliminated. I feel like the Sheppard people are on top of it, they are actively finding and updating questions in their database. I agree with the responses below, just follow the test prep suggestions and you’ll be fine!

10-4.

Samuel,

It’s supposed to happen in June but as you said, Sheppard (and the other test preps) are on top of these things. This is what these companies do. It’s not a “scam” or a cheat. The FAA is well aware of the preps out there and they have access to all the info. It’s not like the FAA is working against them or the FAA is trying to “catch” or “get” you.

Adam

1 Like

I took my PAR a month ago after going through the kings stuff. I scored a 98.
Today I just took the IRA and FII and got a 98 and 100 respectively. I just used the Sheppard Air system. It works like magic. There are some questions I didn’t fully understand, but feel I at least have a little bit of knowledge for when I start instrument later this year. I think then things will start clicking.

1 Like

Thanks, Jared and congrats. Yeah, I think the point is to just get them done as a formality. The real learning will happen in ground school and when you’re actually putting it to the test in the sims and in the plane.

I’m almost ready to take the PAR but it’s sucks because where I live doesn’t have any testing sites and I won’t be back to Florida until the end of June. So I’m going to have to keep that knowledge up while I start to study for IRA/FII. I like to completely handle one thing at a time so it can get all my focus. I can take it in about 6 weeks so I’ll probably just do like one practice test a week just to keep it fresh until I can finally take it. I’m aiming for all 6 complete before my start on July 23, but I’ll be satisfied if I at least knock out PAR, IRA, FII, and CAX (don’t know if that the proper abbreviation). How much time do you have left before your start date? Are you averaging one month study time per test? I’m working full time still so I can only study in the evening and on weekends.

I start July 9 at GKY in Arlington, TX. My goal was to have IRA and FII done before end of May. Started on CAX and think I may be able to squeeze that in a week or 2.
It has taken me about 2 months total for the 3 I have done thus far.
I was working 2 semi-full time jobs, so I had a lot of evening and weekend study. Last Friday was my last day at 1 of them so I can focus on preparing for school.

Good luck man. And thanks for sharing your experience so far.

Cody,

Where on earth are you living that there is not a testing center within driving distance?

Chris

Saipan

No problem.
For the Sheppard Air system once you take the practice tests (ATP requires 3) you’re supposed to take the real test. I finished by 3 practice tests on a Thursday and couldn’t take my real tests until the following week, so I went through all the questions again, over the weekend. That way I stayed fresh on all the questions.
Also, I recommend memorizing the King schools and Sheppard air memory devices and practice drawing/writing the, from memory. As soon as I started my test, before answering any questions, I would write everything out on my scratch paper.

That’s a good idea. Especially for the vor stuff on the private test. I’m definitely gonna memorize that stuff.

Hey Cody, something I just remembered - if you haven’t found the YouTube videos that Jason Schappert does, I’d highly recommend checking those out. I found them to be very helpful while I was working on my PPL stuff. His YouTube channel is called MzeroA. He’s got some useful tips/tricks for both the written and practical tests.

Thanks dude. I’ll be sure to check them out.