Do airline pilots have to do water survival training?

Do airline pilots have to do water survival training? I have heard some people say it is required and other say it is required only for international pilots.

John,

That’s a great question and honestly one I’ve never really thought about? I believe all airlines do classroom instruction (doning vests and deploying rafts), it was only at my airline Hawaiian we actually had to get in the pool and demonstrate our skills. I would speculate that’s because literally every flight we do is over water? I asked my friend at SWA (who does their ETOPs flights) and she said they did some in the classroom, but no one actually gets wet.

Based on that I suppose it varies from airline to airline based on their operation.

Adam

John,

At the regionals, we only had classroom instruction as well. No pool time. I think it probably does have to do with the type of flying, but I haven’t ever heard of it. Makes me think most US carriers don’t.

Hannah

John,

Adam might remember what we did at the regional, I don’t think it was much as we were only allowed to fly 50 miles or less off the coast and as such did not have rafts. At Continental and United we have to practice with the rafts and don life jackets, regardless of which airplane we are on as they are all over water qualified and all have rafts. We do not actually get in the pool, the FAs do.

Chris