Does a bachelor's degree matter?

Hi, I am looking to see if a bachelor’s degree matters. I have multiple sources telling me because of the pilot shortage the major and the regional airlines do not require a degree. Someone even told me that colleges in the field of being an airline pilot is a thing of the past. Is this true? Personally I am going to get a bachelor’s in nursing administration. Is it worth all the trouble? Thanks in advance!

Vram,

Whoever told you that degrees no longer matter is speculating at best. No the Regionals don’t require a degree but they never have. Even years ago, long before any shortage, when you needed an impressive resume just to get an interview they didn’t require a degree. The Majors however are a different story. While there most assuredly is a pilot shortage it has not impacted the Majors to any real degree. ALL the Majors still list a 4yr degree a “preferred” and “desirable” and the pilot’s with the degrees are still getting hired LONG before those without. Now the pilot shortage is forecasted to continue for some time and perhaps in the future a degree will not make a difference but for now and near future it does. Now if any of the “multiple sources” are willing to guarantee your future Major airline earnings should you not get hired then by all means roll the dice. Me? I live in the world of what IS rather what may or may not happen in the future. Your call.

Adam

Alright, I got it. I appreciate the fast reply. Looks like I will continue working on this bachelor’s.

Vram,

The regionals do not require a degree, the majors do and will likely continue to do so. The major doesn’t really matter, although nursing administration does seem to be a bit out there if your goal is to be an airline pilot.

Chris