Educating options

Hello,
My name is Drake and I am 17 about to receive my private pilots license. I will be a senior in high school this coming August and was looking into attending ATP. I am very eager to get in the cockpit which is why I was wondering if its possible to do this…

As soon as graduating high school I plan to move to the nearest ATP flight school in my area. Once getting my CFI job I will join the airline pilot program. Once I get hired by a regional airline I plan to fly with them while getting my bachelors degree online so that I can move up to the majors later on.

Is this possible??? I know that going to a 4 year college is probably my best option but can this work out also???

Drake,

While yes your plan is possible (even reasonable) honestly I’m not a fan. You’re young, your still in “school mode” and I’d encourage you to remain there. While it’s certainly possible to earn your degree while at a Regional, many pilots find it very challenging. Additionally “moving to your nearest ATP location” means you living on your own for the first time and ATP is not like college campus life. The program is very accelerated and takes a tremendous amount of discipline and maturity. I’m not saying you don’t possess those qualities, I’m simply saying 9mos and $75K might not be the best way to find out for certain.

This is a decision best made by you and your parents but again I think you’d be better served continuing your education, getting your degree (at least a 2yr) and then diving in to ATP. Your call.

Adam

Drake,

I think your plan is a solid one and one that you should be able to follow just fine. The only thing is that you will need to be 21 to fly for an airline and you might hit your 1,500 hours before that, so you could be a bit delayed in waiting for the age requirement.

For the record though, we do always recommend going to college first as it just seems easier for most people to do. However, if you are mature, driven and hard working, your plan will work also and could get you to the airlines faster.

Chris

Adam,

I think what confuses me is understanding the point of having a two year degree. According to ATP to get hired by a regional you don’t always need a degree but to get hired by the majors you need a bachelors degree. I guess my question is why would you spend two years in college when you cant really use it?

Drake,

The major airlines requirements and ATP’s are two very different things. The majors require a four year degree because it shows dedication and a higher level of education. ATP requires a two year degree OR two years of work experience OR a private license because it shows maturity and the ability to stick with things. So ATP never actually requires a two year degree, it is simply one of the ways to meet their entrance criteria.

I personally see no point at all in obtaining a two year degree because it won’t do much at all for you unto itself. I think of a two year degree as a “half way there” certificate on the way to a bachelor’s degree.

Chris

Drake,

At the major level, if an airline is considering two candidates with the same ratings/qualifications and hours, the candidate with the 4 year degree will more than likely get the job because it shows dedication and commitment.

ATP has adopted a similar standard when it comes to entrance requirements. Historically, students with at least 2 years of college or equivalent work experience have been more successful than those without.

So, the value of a degree is worth more than the field of study the degree is in.

Tory

Drake,

As Tory said it gives you an additional 2yrs to grow. More important by getting your 2yr degree, THEN earning your licenses and ratings, not only do you get a jump on the 4yr folks, you can take the 2yr degree AND get credit for your licenses and ratings and earn your 4yr degree online in min time and expense. That makes the getting your degree while working at a Regional much more palatable.

Adam