Fly or Drive? Living 3-4 hours from multiple bases

Hello,

I’m looking into making a career change and becoming an airline pilot. I live in Fort Wayne, IN and have a wife and 4 kids under 7. Moving is not an option and I’m the sole provider for my family. After taking 2-3 years of flight school and flight time building away from home ( most likely in Indianapolis for ATP or LIFT flight school) what can I expect commuter life to be like at regionals or majors? I live 3-4 hours drive from Chicago, Detroit, Indy, Columbus, Dayton, Louisville. There are also multiple daily non stop flights from FWA to ORD, MSP, CLT, DFW, ATL with American, United and Delta. Am I likely to get ORD or a driveable base since it’s less desirable than warmer climate bases? Would you drive or fly JS to base if you lived 3-4 hours from base?

Any insight would be very helpful! Thank you!

Andrew

Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. I ,I’ve three hours drive away from my base in IAD. I almost exclusively drive, I find it much less stressful, far more predictable, and more reliable than commuting via airplane. I commuted to EWR for seventeen years and will never subject myself to a commute via airplane again.

Do not just assume that colder weather bases ar less desirable. There are plenty of midwesterners that are happy to be based at ORD, MSP, DTW, etc. When you go through training at an airline, they will offer the bases that are available at the time. You might get one you prefer, you might not. But in time, hopefully your desired base will become available and you will be able to transfer. Understand that there are no guarantees though and bases can and do change.

Chris

1 Like

Andrew,

There’s no way around it, commuting sucks but for many it’s the only option. As Chris said, don’t assume a base will be junior based on climate (ie, ORD has been a hub for UA for decades and since people don’t want to commute that means they live there and that can mean senior). That said you will eventually get the base you want. The biggest issue is when you’re new and jr will be short call Reserve. You’ll need to be at the airport within 2-3hrs and a 3hr drive won’t cut it with parking and security. Further, even after you’re a lineholder, you’ll have some long duty days. A 3-4hr drive, followed by a 12hr duty day is a recipe for fatigue. This will mean some hotels or crashpads in your future.

Adam

1 Like

Andrew,

I’m more concerned with your statement being the sole provider and having a wife and 4 young kids. Have you really thought through the reality of being unemployed for 7 months? Plus the time as a student and time building your wife will have to bare the primary load for taking care of your kids. It’s not impossible, but it will be very challenging and require great sacrifices in your relationship to make it work.

Once you make it to the regionals, it will be better but not significantly. You’ll have the minimum 12 days off, long days and be the most junior pilot trying to commute to work. If I were you, driving would be much more predictable and reliable until you can get some seniority. You would still need to budget for hotel rooms and crash pads when on reserve and even the occasional stay when you get a trip that isn’t commutable.

I don’t want to be a Debby downer on your dream, I just want you to have a realistic picture of what to expect. It won’t be easy until you’re about 3 years in, at a regional with a decent amount of seniority. Then another difficult choice, pursue a major and start over as the junior pilot again or stay at a regional and enjoy quickly becoming the most senior in base.

Hannah

1 Like