Flying with Diabetes

Carlos,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting! I am by no means a doctor, but I did find an article written by an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner that should be helpful to you. http://www.airspacedoc.com/what-is-diabetes-and-how-does-it-affect-your-medical/ From the article it sounds like you should be good to go with Type II if your blood work comes back alright. I would have a long talk with your AME about what your medical future looks like, especially in regards to diabetes.

As far as the airlines are concerned, I don’t think you should need to disclose it to them. I am pretty sure that United does not ask any medical questions, they just require you to have a First Class Medical. American has been known in the past for giving very in-depth medical exams, so there might be some issues there. Generally speaking though I don’t think you should have to disclose the information to an airline. I will reach out to some contacts I have and see if I can get you any more info on this. Hopefully Adam will jump in here and share his knowledge about what sort of medical exam Hawaiian gives their potential pilots.

Chris