Pilots with Type 1 Diabetes

I have been dreaming of becoming a pilot for years and I am a junior in college also done with my bachelor’s degree then planning on going to flight school after. I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and still have doctor’s visits but will be insulin dependent. This diagnosis distressed me very much but I have been looking into a pilot who in 2019 became a pilot and he is insulin dependent/ My thing is I don’t totally understanding the medical certificate process and was just wondering about some of your pilot thoughts on becoming a pilot with type one diabetes.

1 Like

Gretchen,

You will need to reach out to a FAA Aviation Medical Examiner and discuss your situation with them. They are the official source on all such medical things. You can find one here: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Chris

2 Likes

If I recall, for a third class medical, as long as you’re monitored by them, and are stable for 6 months, then you can get one.

For a first class, I assume it’s a whole other ballpark.

Take my comment with a grain of salt though, since this is based on info I read years ago. Best to go through the list of AME’s and give a call to like 2/3 AME’s and get thier take on this.

Good luck!

1 Like

Gretchen,

As Chris said you really need to speak with an AME because every case is different. That said (and not to give you any false hope) but the FAA did just last year loosen up their diabetes requirements which I’ve been told has allowed many who previously could not obtain a First Class Medical to be granted one.

Adam

2 Likes

Hey Gretchen,

I would just like to echo what everyone has said above, an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) is the first stop in order to seeing what you would be qualified for along the line of medicals. Some things you may see when going through the process is a Special Issuance (I have one of these - not for diabetes), this is just where your medical would be sent to a Regional Flight Surgeon for consideration, but it’s doable! Don’t stop pushing for your dreams!

Brady

2 Likes