General Introductory Flight Questions

Hi guys, I hope your weekend went well. I plan on calling ATP tomorrow to get more information on the following questions, but I wanted to get the input of anyone here who may have been in the same situation as myself.

My name is Matthew and this coming weekend I have my introductory flight at the Addison location in Dallas. It’s all I can think about. Here’s my situation and subsequent question(s):

I’m a 23-year-old full-time student graduating in December with a Bachelor’s in General Studies, and hoping for a start date in February of 2019. I live in the middle of the Midwest, nearly 6 hours from Addison by car, so while I’m eager and excited beyond words for the introductory flight, it requires some planning in advance to make the trip (including the fact that I attend class Monday through Friday).

Out of curiosity, today I checked the weather for Addison the weekend of my introductory flight, and noticed that it’s forecasted to storm the entire weekend. I know weather is unpredictable, and moreover I only checked the weather through Apple’s default weather app, which may not be as reliable as other sources. If I were to arrive at Addison on the day of my introductory flight and the weather conditions were below VFR minimums, what should I expect? Would I need to reschedule, or are there other ways to remedy the situation?

Here is my second question: from what I’ve read here in the forums and what I was told when scheduling the introductory flight, its purpose is to give potential students an idea of what training and flying in general will be like, and also for ATP to be sure that I would be a good fit for the program. Is it common for people to be determined unfit for the program after their introductory flight and turned away? Like the majority of people on this forum, I’ve loved aviation since I was young, and want badly to be part of the program.

Have a good week,

Matthew Damm

Matt,

Thank you for the introduction.

If the weather is below minimums, you will need to reschedule for flight. The introductory flight is a way for you to test tout flying to see if you really like it, but it is also a chance for you to evaluate ATP and for them to evaluate you. I wouldn’t stress too much about it though, nobody is expecting you to fly like the ace of the base, just be yourself and enjoy the flight.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll keep all of this in mind – can’t wait for the flight.

Sincerely,

Matthew