Health/Eye Sight requirements/ exceptions

Good afternoon everybody!

I had a couple questions I was hoping someone could maybe answer. I am looking to become a pilot, however, when I was younger I had an eye injury and ended up needing cataract surgery and I now see 20/50 with contacts. I was wondering if it’s still possible for me to be a pilot and if not initially, if there is any exceptions that would still allow me to fly? It’s been my dream to be a pilot and I’m hoping there’s still some way I can. Even if that means flying for smaller airlines?

Thanks in advance!

Quentin,

None of us are drs but the standard to my knowledge is 20/20 corrected.

I would consult an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) to be certain.

Adam

Okay, thank you! What’s the best means of connecting with an AME doctor? Are there any online forums to speak to them?

The FAA has an AME locator tool on their website, just Google “FAA AME locator”. That’s how I found mine.

1 Like

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

Adam

1 Like

Thank you!! I am sure this is a question for the AME also but when you said typically vision has to be 20/20 did you mean 20/20 in each eye or correctable 20/20 with both eyes? Because I can see 20/20 with both eyes with contacts.

From the FAA:

Adam

Quentin,

Welcome to the forum. I am a bit confused as you make two contradictory statements, one that you see 20/50 with contacts and another that you see 20/20 with contacts. You need to be correctable in at least one eye to 20/20 with either glasses or contacts. I wear rather think glasses myself and have for years, never had an issue with the FAA. As Adam said though, be sure to check with an AME. You will need to schedule an appointment with one to do so.

Chris

The chart Adam posted does not tell the whole story. To be issued a standard First Class Medical you need 20/20 (corrected) in each eye. One can receive a Special Issuance First Class Medical if they have 20/20 (corrected) in only one eye, but there are several hoops that must be jumped through first.

Chris

1 Like

Perfect thank you, that is very helpful! I apologize for my miscommunication. My right eye is 20/50 with contacts. My left eye is 20/20 with contacts and I am 20/20 using both eyes together with contacts. I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say. It gives me excitement and hope to know that, even though there are hoops to jump through, that there is a Special Issuance First Class Medical that would give an exception to not having 20/20 in one eye.

Quentin,

Do keep in mind that after going through this process, your whole career will depend on your left eye remaining at 20/20, corrected. If that eye slips to even 20/25 corrected, you are finished flying. Just make sure to keep that in mind when deciding if this career is right for you.

Chris

1 Like

Yes, thank you! What is the best way to go about the process of getting a special issuance? Just contacting the AME?

Additionally, if I end up not being able to be a pilot what kind of other aviation careers are available that pay well? Is there a forum or website where you can see other aviation jobs with their salary and benefits?

Quentin,

Yes I would contact an AME for a consult.

As for other careers there are many. While I’m not aware of any forums etc I’m certain they exist. I’d Google and see what comes up.

Adam

Okay, thank you!! What are the eye sight requirements to fly cargo like for FedEx or UPS etc and to fly charter? Are those perhaps a 2nd class? Or, are all pilot sectors a 1st class medical?

Quentin,

FedEx, UPS, etc will have the exact same eye requirements. The vast majority of pilot jobs will require a first class medical.

Chris

Okay, thank you!!