How safe is atp?

Do we have to go practice spin flight trainings on the training airplane Cessna 172, or can we just practice spin training on the ground in a cockpit simulator model.

William

Did anyone get scared while practicing spin training? Will the airplane stall during a spin training session?

William

William,

It must be demonstrated in the real airplane. And by definition, a spin is an uncoordinated stall.

It seems like you may have some anxiety about stalls and spins? It really is a nonevent. The maneuver is done at a safe altitude and the airplanes practically want to recover from the condition by themselves because the airplanes are designed to be so stable.

Tory

Will,

I only have a few hours (20 done at a small school, not ATP), and I have done some spin recovery and training despite it not being a part of the course curriculum. My instructor just wanted to give me a bit of a lesson on it.

Anyways, I did my spins in a C172 and from my experience, those airplanes are built so well that itā€™s actually difficult to enter into a spin, and when you do, the aircraft tends to correct itself with very minimal input. Of course, donā€™t rely on this happening every time but what Iā€™m trying to say is that these maneuvers are typically performed under safe conditions. They definitely feel weird but you should be fine.

I have done some slow flight and power off stalls before at other flight schools on my 2nd and 3rd flight training, but I felt a little dangerous, since they only did it below 2,500 feet. After 3 flight training lessons, I decided to quit and join ATP Flight School, because I think it would be safer to train at ATP.

I have already matured myself for over 10 years. I wanted to be successful in becoming a commercial airline pilot since kindergarten, so thatā€™s why I decide to start training as early as possible. My opinion is that starting ATP Flight School at 30 to 40 years old is too late, and you donā€™t get to have a chance of being a commercial airline pilot for many years, since the required retirement age for all commercial airline pilots is 65 years old. My calculation is that if I start training at ATP Flight School at 18 years old, but no later than 20 years old, I will be able to apply for American Airlines first officer job at 23 years old, and then transition to being a captain. I will be able to successfully complete the flight training at ATP from zero time until I graduate and become a CFI. I wanted to be a commercial airline pilot for 43 years, not including the time needed for training.

William

(Sigh) guess Iā€™m outta luckā€¦

Adam

3 Likes

William,

I applaud that you wish to start training at a young age, but I can assure you that many people start in their 30s and 40s and have very successful careers.

Chris