How to

Hello,

I’m Dale. I’ll be 40 in 2 weeks. I’m currently a middle school teacher for the past 15 years. I want to eventually become a pilot for a major airline. This was my wife’s idea and I’d love to be a pilot. I have a bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree. What is the first training/class I need to take. I’ve been researching for days. The school year is about to start and I can’t quit right now. Could I start to earn my private pilot license while working? I’m in Chicago and seems there are a few flight schools. Full disclosure I want the quickest cheapest way possible to be able to be working for an airline (as would anyone). Thank you for all the responses I’ve read through. This seems like a fantastic and helpful community.

Also I’ve seen online school for flight training, ground, etc. My first thought was that seemed weird. Any thoughts?
Dale

Dale,

Full disclosure here, quickest and cheapest are conflicting terms when it comes to flight training, further the fact this “is your wife’s idea” is concerning. Flight training is challenging in many levels and most people who are fully invested simply waste money and never reach their goals.

As for your questions you definitely could train locally and possibly earn your PPL. Know it will be neither cheap nor quick. There’s a reason the airlines and the military train full-time. Flying skills are built one upon the next and training only a couple of days a week will inevitably lead to back slips and repeating lessons. Many people who try end up wasting alot of time and money. While full-time training may seem more costly, it’s actually incredibly efficient and therefore is more economical (though no one would ever call it cheap).

There are many online ground school classes out there that can prepare you for the required FAA knowledge exams. Obviously you cannot learn to fly online but they will allow you to check a box.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I should clarify. My wife’s idea meaning she’s onboard with me going to flight school and having a career change. I’d love to fly, see the country, etc. I’ve been fascinated with the physics of flight. I’m not sure where to begin. I’m sorry if my introduction/question seemed weird, informal or other. I’d love to get into a flight program and start a new career. I’m reading full time is the way to go and my wife is good with me not working for around a year. Is it feasible to go from 0 experience to working for a regional airline in that time frame?

Thank you again,
Dale

1 Like

Dale,

It really isn’t a question of feasibility, but more of realistic expectations and of course the individual.

ATP has been around for over 35 years and over 1200 graduates have been placed at an airline in the last 12 months.

If you can’t start until the end of the upcoming school year then I would recommend waiting until the school year is over. Obtaining your PPL during the school year will fulfill your flying “fix,” but it won’t be cheap or efficient.

Tory

1 Like

Dale,

No it’s only not feasible, it’s not possible. ATP’s Airline Career Pilot Program compresses what usually takes years into just 7mos which is really the shortest time you can complete your training. After that in order to fly for an airline you’ll need to build the required 1500hrs of flight experience. That on the average will take approximately 1.5yrs so the time from zero experience to a Regional pilot job is about 2-2.5yrs.

I strongly suggest you visit our FAQ section and the ATP website where you’ll find more detailed answers to this and many other common questions.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I don’t want to waste money just to have to go through the same thing again. I’m going to look into seeing what would be available with a PPL until I reach the required hours for a regional airline. I appreciate your response.

Dale,

ATP has two starting points either zero time or credit private. If you chose to pursue your Private over the next year, you can still pursue flight training at ATP but you must meet the admission requirements that include 78 hours and 8 hrs XC PIC.

As mentioned above, we don’t recommend you balance work and any flight training. It won’t be cheap or efficient. Best that you wait to finish the school year before starting any flight training so that you can be full committed with your time.

You could start working on the written exams during this year but know each have a 2 yr expiration. So if you pass the PAR, you must take the Private checkride within the next 2 years.

Hannah

1 Like

Thank you for responding. I’m reading about flight instructors so I can accumulate hours after finishing ATP and maybe have an income.

I appreciate everyone’s responses. The more I read the more excited I get.

Dale

2 Likes

The only thing that will be available with a PPL is your ability to rent an airplane and fly for fun. There is no way t earn money with a PPL, a Commercial Pilots License is required for that.

I would strongly recommend against getting your PPL before starting ATP. I did just that and it cost considerably more than I was promised and took much longer. In the end, I would have been better off going straight to ATP.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you. I’m talking with my wife now about finances once completing ATP. I would earn a CFI with ATP as well too correct?

Dale

Correct

1 Like

A bit late on this but you missed an opportunity at the annual EAA Airventure in Oshkosh to talk training and possible career paths. As many pointed out, it’ll take years to accumulate the 1500 hours for 121 work at the regionals. But there are also other pathways possibly quicker to build hours besides CFI.

1 Like

Larry,

While there may be “quicker” ways, please remember the 1500hrs isn’t simply a box to check and the quality of those hours is more important that the time it takes.

While hiring at the Regionals is at an all time high, so are the failure rates. Getting an interview is easy, passing newhire training is not.

Adam

1 Like

My brother in laws dad mentioned this I think.