I'm sure I want to pursue this career, I'm just not sure I should

I love aviation, I have as long as I can remember. Been flying hardcore flight sims as a hobby since I was 12. Never looked into it as a career path till now due to ignorance and thinking it was out of my financial means. 32 years old now, and wanting to switch to a career I’m passionate about. But here’s the hang up. I was living in Colorado and was a legal marijuana user. I do have a couple of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges from getting caught with it when traveling out of state. The latest one being about 3 years back. I have no excuse for the behavior only the desire to right the wrong and redirect my life to the correct path. The only explanation I have was I was very stupid and irresponsible probably due to being unhappy with my situation in life. I’d like to remedy that. I no longer use marijuana or have the desire to. I understand that these items on my record would make the task very difficult, maybe impossible, with regard to a career in aviation. But I only have the present to act and I cannot change the past. So the question out of all of this, is it still a valid career path for me? I’m willing to jump through any and all hoops I have to, and after that if all it lands me is the lowest job on the aviation totem pole I’d be happy. At least I’d be doing something I’ve always loved and wanted to do.

Tyler,

A few things here, marijuana has always been federally illegal and continues to be so. Aviation is regulated by the federal government, so they will have an issue with this, regardless of the state laws. Furthermore, crossing state lines with it has always been illegal and that is a well known fact, so you knowingly broke those rules and committed another federal crime.

This will be a very tough hill for you to climb, if not an impossible one. Your first hurdle will be obtaining a medical certificate from the FAA. I can tell you that this will be a long process, if not impossible, due to your drug use. You need to schedule an appointment with a FAA AME to find out if you are eligible. Tell them you are applying for a first class medical and fill out the forms truthfully.

Noe to the airlines, many will not hire you, but you might be able to get in somewhere. I recommend contacting the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and asking them directly.

Chris

Thanks for the response. Don’t worry, I have no illusions as to the law or my decisions. I also haven’t used marijuana for over 2 years now. You say it might be impossible, could you elucidate on that? More specifically, what would I likely be required to do to obtain a 1st class medical if they don’t deny me outright? I’m perfectly fine with working small time jobs. I just want to fly as a career. I’d just like to know if it’s impossible?

Tyler,

They will deny you initially, then will refer you to a doctor that is part of the HIMS program, which is the FAA’s drug and alcohol program. That doctor will lead you through the process, I have no knowledge of what that involves. Being clean of marijuana for over two years is not impressive to anybody, especially the FAA. They will dig way back into your past drug use and decide if they can issue you a certificate or not. They could issue one, and they might not. You will really need to consult with a FAA doctor for more clarity on this.

Even small time jobs have insurance requirements and many would prohibit hiring somebody with your past history. Sorry, but this is a bit out of my wheel house.

Chris

Alright, I will pursue it. Thanks for the info and the straight answers