Criminal back ground check

Hello, I am 35 years old no 4 year degree considering a career change. I have a few things on my record and I am wondering if this will exclude me from being a pilot. I have a lot of speeding tickets in my 20’s an underage drinking ticket when I was 16 and a marijuana possession charge about 8 years ago caught with 10 lbs charged as a felony but pleaded to a misdemeanor (in California if that matters). I worked in the marijuana legal industry for a few years as well. I understand that people who reply to these messages are not attorneys and its just their option. Thanks for the feed back

Jacob,

Your first hurdle will be getting a First Class medical. The FAA isn’t fond of criminal records and neither are the airlines. Honestly IF you keep yourself clean going forward, can get your medical and do well in training you might have a shot at the Regionals. But the record with no degree I don’t see the Majors in your future.

Adam

Jacob,

I think you will have a very difficult time obtaining a medical. Marijuana is not legal, regardless of whatever several states may say, and the question of state v. federal supremacy of laws was settled at Appomattox Courthouse in 1865. The FAA is going to take a very dim view of your activities and will probably have lots of questions.

If you are able to obtain a medical, I think you will have a further uphill battle to get hired at an airline.

Of course your results may vary and I encourage you to seek out the help of a FAA AME and contact the recruiting departments of several regional airlines.

Chris

Jacob,

Above answers are pretty clear, but if you’re serious about this I’ve got one more suggestion you may be interested in trying. Take a look at AOPA, and see about becoming a member. That membership will give you contact info of aviation lawyers that you could reach out to and go through your background thoroughly (won’t be free). They would be able to give you a very accurate answer as to what exactly you’ll need to do, if you can, to become a pilot. Talking with a local AME (aviation medical examiner) would be prudent.

Lucas