In need of help

Hello I’m wallacy I’m 18 years old and just finished high school. Currently I’m stuck and don’t know where to go so I’ll start here. I come from a poor family and coming up with money is hard. I understand that to become a pilot it is very hard and very costly. So I was wondering if I should go to a community college and major in avaition to start.Then transfer to an another avaiton college to get my bachelors degree Or should I save money for a year and and go to atp flight school.
Any help would be amazing.

Wallacy,

We ALWAYS recommend college first. There’s also no reason to Major in aviation, in fact I’d recommend you don’t. The airlines neither desire or require an aviation degree and should flying not work out you have no backup.

Adam

So your basically saying to major in something else so It can be my plan b?

Exactly

Adam

Does it have to be a bachelors degree or can It be associate since major airlines prefer people with a degree does it matter?

Wallacy,

While the degree type does not matter, most individuals are trying to rush to the airlines, so they will work towards an Associate’s and then complete their Bachelor’s later on…HOWEVER, the trend of those that actually complete said degree, may not be as high as some wish. Find a degree or field of study you find interesting and FUN FACT, you will do better in class and receive a better GPA which will help you in the long run.

Also, you don’t mention whether you have any flight experience, have you considered taking a few introductory lessons. If you have an airport nearby, I recommend checking out their flight school and do an introductory flight. Furthermore, if you have an ATP nearby, I would schedule a flight there as well.

Brady

Hello I have introductory flight scheduled this Sunday with Beverly airport!

Wallacy,

I would also schedule one with ATP at a nearby ATP location if you have one nearby. Beverly is in Massachusetts? ATP has two locations there, Norwood Memorial Airport and Lawrence Municipal that I would HIGHLY recommend also scheduling a flight with. Nothing is better than getting an experience as to “What is it like to be a student at ATP” than going firsthand.

Brady

Wallacy,

The reality is flight training is expensive. Most people don’t have that amount of money just laying around. Financing exists for that reason. With that being said, it’s a large unsecured loan and at your age and with no credit history you’re going to need a co-signer. Start brainstorming now about who that could potentially be. Good news is, while you’re working on your education you can save some money and work to find your best shot at getting approved for the loan.

Hannah

This is actually what I plan on doing my parents mad a credit card for me under their account so while I’m in community college I’ll save up money and should have good credit when I get out of school