Interested in a career in commercial aviation

Hi All,
I am currently a 20 year old studying Mechanical Engineering in college, and I have had a change of heart in my career decision. It has always been a childhood dream of mine to be an airline pilot and the more I begin to discover my passions and myself in college, the more I begin to realize that that dream is something I want to pursue.

Moving forward, what steps should I take to most effectively streamline my path to becoming a commercial pilot for a major US airliner? I go to the University of Michigan Ann Arbor, which does not offer an aviation degree or aviation credits, so is it still worth finishing my degree in Mechanical? I figured that having somewhat of a technical engineering background will have its benefit in the entire process of achieving my ATP License? Or should I cut my losses and begin focusing on flight school entirely because im afraid if I start at 22-23 ill be too late to the game. Enlisting in the military or air force isn’t really something im too keen on either.

I’ve signed up for training with a local non-profit flight club in Ann Arbor that will train me to get my PPL. My current plan is to hopefully have that finished by the time I graduate in 2 years.

From there, what is my best plan of action? I know that many of the major US airlines offer flight academies that open up direct hiring pathways into the parent airline (Like the American Airlines Cadet Program) and will get you your ATP which youll use at a smaller regional airline to gain hours before transitioning to larger airlines/aircraft and longer routes.

I probably sound like I have no idea what im talking about or getting myself into but I have spent a lot of time debating whether or not this is something I want to do (put simply, I slept on it) and have decided this is genuinely something I am passionate about pursuing. I just got so caught up in the cliche engineering-cubicle-job mindset that I lost track of what I want to make out of my life.

Thanks for all your time!!

1 Like

Bassel,

First I strongly recommend you visit our FAQ section as we answer many of your questions as well as go through the process.

As for the rest here’s a couple of thoughts. Not sure where people get the idea (you’re not alone) that 22-23 is too late but it’s not even close. While sooner is always better, you’re far from late.

As for your degree you will need one but the airlines don’t care the field of study, they just want you to check the box. While technical engineering won’t help you at all as a pilot I assume you chose that because you have some interest in the subject. That’s as good a degree as any and it’s always good to have a Plan B should you decide aviation isn’t for you or simply doesn’t work out.

Again take a look at the FAQs then feel free to come back with more specific questions.

Adam