Late Career Change Advice

Dear all,

I would really appreciate any guidance such an experienced group may provide!.
I think mine is somehow a tricky case.
Always passionated about flying, early at 18 years old I made some attempts that literally didn’t fly due to country and family context.

I end up pursuing a mechanical engineering career, and almost every weekend enjoying some free flight as my hobby (paragliding).

Today I am 52, and I have almost 30 years of experience. I have worked across different countries and continents, leading large engineering organizations.

And I am seriously exploring the possibility to change my career direction, becaming an ATP.

I really need to find the right school to support me, were I can do it quickly and with utmost quality, as I cannot afford the typical pilot career progression timeline.

From a personal, family and financial standpoint I am prepared to do it, and really looking forward to find that school that can join me in this dream, helping me to get as well equipped as possible, in order to face the process to find a job at such age!

But my main concern is about how realistic is to actually get a FO job later on at 54, aiming to have at least 5-10 years of a dreamt career.

I am fully aware main airlines may not be interested in having me, but this will be my only family income. My expectation will be to reach a mid size or regional airline, were I could enjoy at least 5 years of career…

So , is it too late for such a change…??

1 Like

Cristian,

If you spend ANY time browsing this forum you’ll see there’s nothing unusual or “tricky” about your case. In fact the “am I too old?” is our number one FAQ. In your case as long as you’re realistic about your career goals (which you seem to be) the answer is no.

As for which flight school if you look up to left you’ll clearly see the ATP logo. This is ATPs forum and all the mentors on it are ATP grads who went on to become successful airline pilots. The fact is there is no faster or efficient route to the airlines than ATP for almost 40yrs. In fact over 1,000 ATP grads have been hired by airlines in the last 12mos alone.

Obviously at your age time is critical. If you’re serious about flying for a career you should be looking at ATP.

Adam

Many thanks Adam, indeed I did enjoyed reviewing other feedbacks and questions on this, but found no one as old as myself!, this is where the “tricky” comment come from

Many thanks once more!

There are many.

Adam

I’m in the same boat I think, 52 as well. A good part of my life has been in maintenance and the military, in one form or the other. Been banging away at my Bachelors and close to being done with my private after a rather dramatic delay. One of the internships I’ve applied for is in a corporate flight department. The description is exactly what I’ve been looking for, and if all goes well could be a determining factor whether I put all of my energy into finally having a flying career. My fiance is behind me 100% in whatever I decide, but at the same time the “logical” part of my mind is trying to assert itself saying “be realistic, you’re no 20 something anymore”. I know this forum is connected to ATP, and I have heard stories about them. Not very good ones. I may have gone there years ago if they hadn’t stopped taking VA students. I’m trying to weight all possible options, including schools and of course, money. The cost of training is likely the biggest “barrier to entry”. Desire and aptitude mean nothing if you can’t get funding. Feedback I have come across about other schools is a mixed bag, but I want it from the horses mouth. People who have been there or still are.

Kevin,

ATP never stopped taking VA students (and actually has many. My partner back in the day was a recently retired Marine). Due to the accelerated nature of the program, the VA simple won’t release enough money yearly to cover it.

With that in mind the veterans who have made the decision recognize while it’s great to not pay out of pocket (or go into debt) for training, the benefits of getting a senority number in short order will more than cover the training costs significantly.

As for the “not very good” stories you’ve heard about ATP, that’s nothing new. ATP makes no claims the program is for everybody, in fact it most definitely isn’t. The program compresses what usually takes years and compresses it into months (I’m guessing in the time it took you to earn your PPL you probably could’ve completed the Program). Not everyone can handle the pace but it’s fast easier to blame ATP then to own the failure themselves.

Adam

When I enquired in 2010 prior to ETS’ing, I was told that VA students were not being accepted any longer due to the reimbursement rate not being high enough. That’s pretty much verbatim. If that policy has been changed then it’s not reflected on the website.

Kevin, I’m not going to argue with you, but I’m pretty sure if ATP ever said they didn’t accept VA “students” they would’ve been shut down years ago. Again, they cannot accept the VA BENEFITS for training and again there are and have been MANY veterans in the program.

Adam