Line vs Reserve

Can someone explain when a new FO would be awarded Line vs Reserve? As a new hire FO flying for ExpressJets, is it more likely you are flying reserve until you build up seniority and then hold a line? Am I asking it the right way? I was reading a thread and couldn’t find an explanation.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

Scott,

That’s actually a really good question. People make a ton of assumptions when it comes to seniority and how it effects various elements of working for an airline. First to answer your question, yes you’re correct, GENERALLY, as a newhire you’ll probably fine yourself on Reserve in the beginning until you build some seniority and can hold a line. What I want to clarify is “junior this and senior that” are all relative terms and really only pertain to what’s POPULAR. Just because you’re junior doesn’t automatically mean your life will be lousy and you’ll never get what you want. It’s more that being senior enables you to get what’s POPULAR. There is nothing that states a 737 is a “junior” aircraft and a 787 is senior. People believe it’s newer, bigger, flies further etc so it must be senior. It’s senior because it’s popular, nothing more. Same goes for Reserve. Reserve is junior because lines are popular. Let me give you a few examples. When I was hired by ExpresssJet I wanted EWR for my base. EWR was the most junior base and most pilots were sent there against their wishes. Not me. I wanted it, I bid it and stayed there my entire time. The majority of pilots are Christian and all bid Christmas off so only the most senior pilots will get it. I’m Jewish and I’ve never had a problem getting any of the holidays off. Again it’s a matter of popularity. Finally I’m here at Hawaiian airlines. Here we’re staffed really well and people don’t call in sick that often. There’s seldom weather or maintenance delays. What that means is pilots on Reserve get paid to stay home most of the time so Reserve is actually VERY senior here. Make sense?

Adam

Yes thank you very much. I am a bit older, started studying aviation in college but changed majors, finishing my 1st career and now coming to the end. I have the ability to go to ATP for the 9 month program and start back up in aviation for my next short career. I can relocate anywhere so it’s not a problem. I come from an aviation family so I understand the business, but wasn’t sure about my question in the regionals.

Would you recommend ATP? (I think I know your answer but would like a candid response if possible)

Scott,

Your understanding is dead on. Typically reserve is less desired (unless you are Adam and live in Hawaii), so junior pilots get assigned reserve until they build up enough seniority to hold lines.

Chris

Scott,

You do know my answer but it’s not just because it says ATP on the top of this page. I spent ALOT of time investigating my options and the #1 reason I chose ATP is probably the reason you should as well. You don’t say how exactly how much "older’ you are but if you’re over 40 than time because a factor. ATP’s a great school. Great training, great equipment, great reputation but more than anything there is no faster way to get trained, build hours and get hired and that’s what you want.

Adam

Scott,

This forum is very clearly sponsored by ATP, but if you spend some serious time reading, you will see that we are not salesman and try very hard never to appear as such. That being said, all of the mentors are here because we went to ATP, got exactly what was advertised for the quoted price, and as such believe in the program. ATP’s method of condensed training has a proven track record of working, just look at the “Placements” tab on their website for proof of that.

Now if you want your hand held, ATP is not the place for that. That does not mean that you will not receive individual instruction, you will have plenty of that. You will also be expected to work hard and do some serious studying on your own, just like the airlines will expect from you.

Also, take some time and look in our “Student Experiences” section on this website. We never edit that section, so what you will read there is straight from current and former ATP students.

Chris

I completely understand and appreciate the reply. Yes, I’ve been reading through the many helpful pages. Thanks to all the mentors.

Scott,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

If you are like Adam and bid Reserve in a senior position, what is the likelihood that you would spend a full month or multiple months without flying? Do you have to actually fly a certain number of hours each month to stay current?

Jon,

You have to have three landings every rolling 90 day period to stay current. Generally speaking, this is not an issue as the airlines do make use of their reserve pilots. For example, I am on a five day stretch of reserve and I will fly four days.

Chris

1 Like

Jon,

It depends on the operation but yes it can happen. Computers are wonderful things. At my airline if you’re getting close to losing currency scheduling will get an alert and they will send you flying. Not a problem.

Adam

1 Like