Logbook for the Newbie?

So when you get to the airline, does the airline help you track all your flight hours and you just copy it down into your logbook? Or do you tally up what you flew at the end of each day?

Alex,

IF you have an electronic logbook, most will sync with your airline’s scheduling software and allow you to easily keep your logbook current.

Adam

Alex,

Since I am still using a paper logbook, I use my Notes app on my phone to keep track of when, where and with whom I flew. I also keep track of my currency. Then about six months later I kick myself for not getting an electronic logbook and I spend days transferring my info into my logbook. My company keeps track of our flight times so I get that from online. I think it’s time for me to give in and finally spend the $$$ on LogTen Pro.

Tory

Any tips on how to capture all the information to enter in the log? Having never done this before, it seems intimidating. I figure during training it’s not terribly hard because there’s someone else with you (instructor) also keeping track, and it looks like you have time to do the entry after you land. But flying professionally, with multiple flights a day, and much more info to record (from the time the blocks are removed, etc.) it just overwhelming.

I’m my past (current) life I had to log my hours constantly (time started, time ended, client, activity, description of work) in blocks of 0.2 hours for the entire day every day. And I was HORRIBLE at it. Fortunately my work now I don’t do billable hours.

Looking for this outside in, this just seems like one of those “how to pro pilots do that?!” sort of things. Thanks for indulging my ignorance. :slight_smile:

Scott,

I’m sure others will chime in. I’m a newbie with electronic logbooks. I just logged my first two flights on LogTen Pro. It’s was easy. I hear that there is a way to get import your schedule to LogTen Pro but I will stick to manual entry for now since it only takes a minute.

Tory

Scott,
I used Pilot Pro and love it for the easy user interface. It’s a one time purchase and you have it for life and you can edit the fields to match your logbook specifically. Then once you create the fields, it’s really easy to use to add in your time. Once you get more practice adding in your time in your paper logbook with your instructor, practice copying it over to your electronic logbook yourself and you’ll learn over time how to log more efficiently. It’s something that seems overwhelming at first, but it’s really not once you get the hang of it.

-Hannah

I’ve been logbook shopping and it appears as though Pilot Pro has added a subscription version. Although, I also saw that their Version 3, one-time purchase, was still available.

Tory

Oh interesting! Thanks @Tory, I have the version three. It’s nice to not be charged monthly

-Hannah

1 Like