Losing Medical

I understand that losing a first class medical in the airlines is a big deal, but what really happens if a pilot does lose one? Does he/she just flat out lose their job? Or is there time to heal/get better before the airline let’s someone go? You can try to eat right and exercise all you want but some things are just inevitable. It would really suck if you lost your job when you weren’t really in good hands to retire. Thanks

Most airlines offer long term disability that will pay a certain amount of your pay until the retirement age of 65. If you are able to come back before then, you are expected to return.

Garrett,

Yes losing your medical is a VERY big deal and probably most pilots greatest fear. As Chris said most airlines offer LTD (as does the union) but it isn’t cheap. Hopefully it’s something you can recover from but if you don’t you’re done. Which is why we often talk about having a Plan B. As you said despite all your best efforts bad things can and unfortunately do happen.

Adam

Ok thanks. Would you say that most pilots have LTD? And if so, how expensive are we talking? Is it a crazy percentage of your income?

Adam,

Could the airlines make Plan B teaching Risk Management classes or other non-flying jobs?

Garrett,

The plans vary and there are also Loss of License insurance should you lose you license for other reasons. Unfortunately I foolishly never took advantage of the policies when I was younger and they were inexpensive and now that I’m older and they’re really expensive I gamble without it. I strongly recommend you look into it early in your career.

Adam

2 Likes

Ryan,

Sure. Which is a good reason to get involved with the Training Dept while you’re an active pilot. Most airlines want individuals who enjoy and have some talent instructing vs some guy who never had any interest until he lost his medical and is now desperate for a job.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for your insight. I’ve always been kind of a financial worry wart so this kinda stuff is something I need to be sure of before deciding to make a career change. Thanks

Ryan,

Actually, at United there is zero incentive to work for the company when you are on LTD as they will offset your LTD payment by any money you make from the company, i.e. no double dipping. Fortunately, the airline cannot force us into any other job other than flying either, we were hired to be pilots, we do not fill lesser roles in the company just because of medical conditions.

Chris

Hi! Sorry to continue this thread after so long but I had two add-on questions that I would really appreciate if someone could clarify for me.

If a pilot loses their first class medical (due to one of the 15 disqualifying conditions), do they lose their job immediately or are they given time away by their airline to work another job while they get their condition under control and apply for a special issuance?

Also, if they ever do get back their first class medical and want to return to their aviation career at the same airline, does their seniority pick up where it left off or do they have to start from scratch? Does being unionized play any role?

Thanks!

Amir,

It varies from airline to airline as far as leave policies but if you lose your medical you will be placed on “medical leave”, that’s pretty much standard throughout. The difference is how much you’ll get paid.

The good thing is you will retain your seniority and return where your are position and pay wise.

Adam

Thanks, Adam!

Generally, what is the maximum medical leave that airlines typically give pilots who temporarily lose their medical? For example, I have read that if a pilot has a stroke, they lose their medical, but they can apply for a new medical after 1-2 years if their condition is stabilized and they no longer have a stroke during that time period. Would the medical leaves last that long or are they generally just for less-severe conditions, such as temporarily having vision problems and needing laisik?

Thank you!

Amir,

Again it depends on the airline. In most cases when it’s something minor or less severe that’s what sick bank is for. At my airline (and I believe most others) the limit is 90 days, after that you’ll go on some form of long term leave.

I’m not sure what the limit is but I know we have pilots who have been out for a number of years on medical leave.

Adam

Amir,

At my airline the limit on medical leave is age 65, the age of mandatory retirement.

Chris