Mid-life career change?

Thank you Adam sincerely for your reply and my intention was not to knock ATP at all. It is still high on my list. 100% honesty, my only two only potential rubs (correct me if I am wrong) about ATP are cost (seems like they train you through MEI when I may only want CFI and get my ME then stop) and the schedule rigidity. I keep getting the vibe that ATP you go straight through. No ifs ands or buts. Our parents are older and who knows what may come up? We may need to drop things and help for a few days. The other piece is my wife has an amazing opportunity to work at the Olympics in Paris this summer for a few weeks and we thought it would be great if I tagged along for a bit to soak it in. I got the vibe that with ATP you are tied to your desk til you complete everything. I would very much not like to have to wait until after that trip to start my schooling.

Tyson,

You are correct, ATP trains pilots in the same manner as the airlines, consistent training with no breaks. It would be very difficult to simply stop training for a few days and impossible to take a few weeks off for the Olympics. Keep in mind that the airlines are not known for being flexible with their schedules and it would be very difficult to get the days off you are talking about, especially in training.

I got my private at a local school, it was a disaster. It took way longer than expected and cost much more than I was told it would. Taking breaks during your training will end up causing delays, which will add costs to your training.

Chris

Tyson,

No worries and it didnā€™t seem like you were knocking ATP at all. As I said, I was where you are and after trying (and being beyond frustrated) at my local flight school, I made the decision to go all in with ATP (and it was the best decision I couldā€™ve made and I honestly donā€™t think Id be where I am had I not. Which is why Iā€™m on this forum spreading the gospel).

That said again, thatā€™s what was best for me. You should do whatā€™s best for you and your family. Again my caveat is if itā€™s not working, cut your losses and reevaluate.

Adam