Military to Pilot dream

Jonathan,

I’ll be honest, I’ve been monitoring this thread since the OP and I have to say after seeing your latest response, I am unsure why you are not considering ATP in your research for a flight school. I think you are missing out on a great opportunity. I want to share some of my feedback for your questions on the OP as well, even though I have an entire thread of my own “Checking in Ground Level” (which yes, includes a success story!):

I entered Credit Private in 2020 with full expectations of what was to be expected between both the flight school and me.

1. For me the hardest part of the program was during the commercial phase as I struggled with some of the newer maneuvers, having not doing ground reference maneuvers for almost a year plus. How I fixed that is by getting into the simulator during days off or when other lessons were not taking place. I spent hours outside of my scheduled events and on bad weather, slow days, and weekends practicing.

2. After you start the enrollment flow and secure a date, I would say the best way to be prepared is by completing as many writtens as you can. This will help decrease the workload throughout the program when things move quickly. It is doable and the program is designed to complete writtens during each phase, but picture yourself having all the writtens completed and able to study flows, procedures and maneuvers while others are focusing on studying for the written plus what you are. I found myself able to relax a little more than others and when I was instructing for ATP, I HIGHLY recommended to any introductory flight that was enrolling to complete writtens ahead of time.

3. Refer up to my answer for #1.

4. ATP delivered what they promised in the expectations, I completed the program on time, in cost range, and with zero checkride failures.

Your comment regarding a $60 cheaper Admission Flight my friend is not a positive attitude if you’re looking for a fast-track program. Imagine sitting reserve as a junior pilot in a regional (or major) airline making 4 hours of pay at home at a minimum $90/hr rate…but now because you delayed your training and opted to attend a flight school that could not deliver what ATP could.

All I have to say is don’t shoot yourself in the foot just because of a phone call, but as I’ve read through the thread I also have had to reread things to understand…maybe the representative didn’t fully receive your question? I doubt the failure rate of ATP is 50% for those that enter in Zero Time, when I was teaching the success rate of ATP was 84%, one of the highest in the country for the number of applicants through any similar program.

I recommend giving ATP a chance and scheduling an Pre-Enrollment Interview and Admission Flight.

Brady

1 Like