Other recommendations?

Hello,
I am in the process of hopefully beginning this flight program in May 2018. I began flight lessons to begin working on my private license in Nov '17. My plan is to continue to work on these hours until May. Due to weather and lack of space at the airport for more flying time, I do not believe I will be able to enter ATP with my private lic. I went for my first class physical last week and my next step is to secure the financial end. I have spoken with someone within the program and I believe I am following the correct steps? My goal is to fly commercial. I hold a BS degree from the University of TN. Other than completing ATP’s program and securing the appropriate amount of hours required to work in the commercial industry, what other suggestions do you have?

Thank you,
Lisa Presnell

Lisa,

Sounds like you’re doing everything you need to do to be successful moving forward. My biggest advice however is if you don’t think you’ll complete your Private by May then I would stop throwing money at it and cut your losses. While many pilots are successful coming in with their PPLs, it’s considerably easier starting again from the beginning using ATPs methods and procedures. Save you money by not flying and start working on banging out as many of the written exams (if not all) as you can. This will eliminate a huge distraction and significantly lighten the work load.

Beyond that work and study hard, keep your nose clean and be a team player. It amazes me how you can talk to 2 pilots at the same company doing the same job and 1 will swear they have the greatest job on Earth and the other can’t stop complaining. Many people mistakenly believe that career progression in the airlines is a given or a sure thing. I assure it isn’t. I flew with a young man (actually he’s not that young anymore) when I was at the Regionals and you’d swear he’d be the first one at a Major. Degree in Aviation, clean record, no busts AND daddy’s a legacy pilot. Problem is he came in like a bull in a china shop and ruffled ALOT of folks with his poor attitude. Well it’s been 10 yrs and he’s still a Regional Capt while many with seemingly less attractive resumes have long since moved on. Not something many people talk about and in reality we shouldn’t have to but yes there’s something to be said for being cordial.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thank you for replying. Your response regarding discontinuing my current flying is something I will definitely take in to consideration. I bought a block of hours, once I use those I may stop-according to what you said. I wanted to make sure this was something I truly enjoyed and was interested in before investing substantial time and money into. It definitely is and I cannot wait to be fully immersed into this program every day. I definitely agree about being cordial and completely understand your example regarding the man you spoke about.

Thank you for your time,

Lisa Presnell

Lisa,

I agree with Adam on this one. If you aren’t going to be able to finish your PPL at your current school, I would discontinue training and not throw any more money at it.

Chris

Lisa,

I completely understand and commend you on your judgment. It always surprises me how many people are willing to take out a loan for $70k, quit their jobs, etc with little more than a joyride under their belts. If you paid for a block and can’t get a refund then that’s X many hours less you’ll need later so no harm. Again I just wouldn’t spend anymore.

Adam

Chris,

Thank you for you resonse. I definitely find your and Adam’s replies beneficial.

Thank you again,

Lisa Presnell

Adam,

Thank you for saying. Initially I thought flying was something I would be interested in, however I knew it would be foolish to base such a big decision (career change, spending a lot of money, etc) on just a thought. Like you said, the hours won’t be lost in the long run & it has shown me how much I do truly love it.

Thank you,

Lisa Presnell