Paying for pilot school

Hello! Im 16 and am wanting to be a pilot for living (commercial pilot), but im not sure how to get there. I plan on starting to get my PPL in September and hopefully finish by the end of 2020. The problem is paying for all my other licenses I will need after my PPL + school. My parents fully support me, but cant pay for it. its all on me to pay for it. my plan was to go to Macon Middle Georgia to do my school work + flight training and take the Delta propel program. How much can I expect to pay for all my licenses I need and school work there? Im not really thinking about going into the military so I don’t have to be on active duty, and its never something ive really wanted to do. So what are the cheapest ways of paying for pilot school to get all my licenses + school work? And could you also include a total average/guess for price?

Thank you!
Bray

Bray,

I’m not really familiar with the Delta program but flight training is never cheap and university programs are notoriously very expensive (often over $100k). I have to say I’m generally not a fan of university programs due to the cost and the fact you’re putting all your eggs in one basket. If for some reason aviation doesn’t work out or you simply change your mind, there’s not much you can do with an aviation degree.

I recommend you take a look at our FAQ section where we discuss this (and many other common concerns) at length.

Adam

Delta propel is only for Delta employees who have been working for Delta at least 3 years and have a PPL , then they can take a leave of absence, employee pays for flight training etc

Bray,

Please check out the FAQ section as a lot of your questions will be answered there. After that, we will be happy to help answer more specific questions.

Chris

Bray,

Julia is right. Propel is for Delta employees. Regardless of the school you’re interested in, it would make more sense to contact the school directly for the kind of information you’re asking about.

Tory

No i don’t believe it is. The propel program is all over at aviation universities. Here is a copy/paste from the Delta website about propel, “We want to help you take the next step (or first step) in your pilot career. Whether you are a college student looking for an accelerated path to Delta, a Delta employee pursuing your dreams of transitioning to the flight deck, or just getting started” - Delta Propel is your career path . I’m also friends with a Delta pilot, and he said that the Propel program is not just for Delta employees.

Bray

Thanks @Tory, @Adam, @Chris and @Pilotl1011 for the replies!

Hi all,

This might be the wrong place for this long question, but I wasn’t sure where to begin.

I have my PPL and have been extrenely tempted to take the leap and go to ATP. I know every day I do not start I am losing time/pay on the back end. Plus my wife and I would like kids in the next 5 or so years. Here is my problem.

My minimum monthly income needed to pay all the minimum bills and living expenses is almost $5,000. My current job allows me to earn an income to cover that and a bit more to enjoy life. Unfortunately I grew up in a low income house and had to take out student loans to go to college. That also grew into a decent amount of credit card debt. Between those, rent, car payment, and groceries, that is where my monthly expense comes from. My wife is on a low salary as well, but can contribute some.

Has anyone had a similar situation and secured financing to cover that much monthly liabilities? It has been my dream to become an airline pilot. With my time ticking it seems my only option is continue to do one or two lessons per week Part 61 which will take forever. Can financing cover that amount of living expenses or am I doomed until I pay some down (few years at this pace).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Tony,

I hate to be negative but I don’t see that happening. While the extra $45k in and of itself to cover you while you’re in training is significant enough. What will you do for the year + you’re flight instructing making well below enough to cover that amount. You need to get that debt down.

Adam

I have to agree with Adam on this. It sounds like paying off debt would be your best bet. You will not be able to get a loan to come anywhere near covering that high of living expenses, plus your salary as a CFI will not do it either.

Chris

Adam & Chris,

Thank you both for your replies. I am thinking about giving it a year to pay my debts down to a manageable level and getting started. I still will have living expenses such as rent, car payment, and student loans which will stay with me for another 5 years unfortunately. Luckily my wife can help pickup the slack after about a year and I think taking out additional for living expense while in ATP school for 6 months would be feasible at that point.

Well quick update. Sat down with the wife, put together an extensive debt payment plan, and picked up driving for Lyft after work and on weekends to strictly save for living expenses while in school. My plan is in 1 year to start ATP school and achieve my dream. The unfortunate part is it’s going to take a year, but the best part is, I can go into it knowing we can survive.

Adam & Chris, you both gave me the motivation to think of any way possible to make it work, and as long as I stick to my budget and side income, I should be an airline pilot by the age of 28. Pretty incredible.

1 Like

Tony,

I am glad you have it planned out, keep us up to date.

28 is not bad at all.

Chris