Pilot Fatigue Remains Concern

3 Likes

It feels like the dilemma is on the pilots to call out fatigued when they need to, knowing they may have a flight cancelled that will upset many passengers. Makes you wonder if some pilots aren’t calling out fatigued when they might be just due to this dilemma.

Ben

At least from my experience with my airline pilot and even fractional operator friends, they will call out fatigued if they get to that point with “pax being upset” as one of their last considerations. We are professionals. We are responsible for safety of all onboard. Flying fatigued may be the difference between little Jimmy getting to see his grandma a few hours or a day later, or not getting to see her at all (see Colgan Air Flight 3407). While scheduling is responsible for ensuring adequate rest opportunities for crews, things happen all that time that cut into their planning. We are that last slice of cheese in the model and it’s up to us to acknowledge if we are not safe to operate. I’ll let the gate agents, far more qualified in modern day “fight club” tactics, handle the ensuing mayhem.

3 Likes

I’ve found that most workers are increasingly considering the customer and employers feelings less. I know I do. I have a job to do. If things outside my control or things detrimental to safety cause headaches for my bosses or customers, it doesn’t bother me. Of course, in a face to face situation it becomes a little more difficult.

The first priority of every pilot is safety of flight. At the beginning of each flight we have to certify if we are “fit for duty”, that means fit to operate at the highest level of safety regardless of circumstances. That could be a beautiful VFR, calm wind day that turns in to an emergency single Engine landing after a bird strike
or it could be 1/4 viz, heavy snow day with a perfect airplane. You just never know what could happen but you need to be rested and in a good headspace to be able to deal with either day when you submit you are fit for duty.

If not, don’t fly. You aren’t doing the passengers and service if you make a critical error in flight because you didn’t want them to be delayed. Hopefully the company has reserves available and the passengers never even notice there was a crew swap.

Hannah

1 Like